• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

GF has HSV2 - no suppressive Therapy?

So the title says it.. I'm together with my girl for 8/9 months and she was on suppressive Therapy for that time. I think she never had an outbreak during that period and this week she went to her Dr. and she said that the Dr's advice was stop taking that medication because thye can be hard for the liver.. The problem is I felt pretty safe during this time and now when she wouldnt take these pills.. I feel like less protected. Has anyone more informations if the Dr's right or not?

@parbla42 well..... I have heard from a lot of others on this forum that their doctors have said the same thing BUT my doctor has indicated that herpes meds are some of the safest and long term proven medications available. The liver risk is relatively low unless there is a pre-existing liver condition. Realistically, there a lot of things we do to ourselves that are way harder on the liver than valtrex! (alcohol for example).

The dilemma here is that it's her right to take it or not and it's your right to want to be protected and the reason you feel like you are less protected without it is because you ARE. You need to have a chat with her and let her know if this is a deal breaker for you and if it is, that is totally understandable. 9 months on the drug is nothing!!!!! There are people who have been on it for decades with no negative effects. I believe @ihaveittoo is an example???

As a woman with herpes and partner without it, I am absolutely taking the drug to protect him. I feel like it is a no brainer for me. Some couples use the meds until the H- is comfortable with the long term nature of the relationship and comfortable with the risk. She doesn't have to be on it for life but that will be up to BOTH of you to decide. Let her know how you feel, its ok to be honest

Actually, I have not taken an antiviral in nearly 20 years. Since my wife is also H+ there has been no real need for it. I was also told by the first doctor that prescribed Acyclovir for me that it was an extremely safe drug. I never had any side effects other than one bout of diarrhea, and that may have just been coincidental. It was also very effective for me.

I agree with what @fitgirl said about the liver risk. Her doctor can order tests to check her liver function. If the results are good I don't see the continued use of antivirals to be a problem. Like fitgirl said though, ultimately it is up to both of you to decide.

Good luck, I hope everything works out for you and your girl.

Regular blood tests would show any Issues, having been on 400mg of acyclovir now for over twelve years and no issues to speak of I really don't see any problems it's just a personal choice and one you both need to work through together. ;)

Is her Dr a GP or OBGYN? If it's the former I'd suggest that she go to an OBGYN because they understand the whole thing alot better than GP's ... but I agree, the liver issue seems to be important for those who already have liver issues and she can just keep getting her liver function tested each year and you then discuss where you are both at when you get those results.

That said I've been in LTR's where I was on the meds and not on the meds (3 yrs each) and both times we arrived at the choice of how much protection WE were willing to use .... so this is a matter for you as a COUPLE to work through :)