• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Annoyyyyying - Went 5 months without OB...here I am

Oyyyyy.

Just want to vent a little. I’m a 2.5 year vet of ghsv2, and I was getting OBs regularly, once every 2 months or so. But my last OB (minor) was in October, and I kind of forgot what it was like to feel...normal. And yet here I am, just lying on the couch and suddenly I feel a lump with 2-3 tiny blisters. (Side note, where the heck was the prodrome?!)

I almost made it to 6 months. I really wanted to make it to be able to say “oh I OB once or twice a year.” I wonder if I’ll ever be that person. Why can’t I be the type without symptoms??

All in all it’s no big deal. I’m single and not sleeping with anyone. But also UGGHH

Are you taking suppression meds (valacyclovir)?

If not, that might do you some good.

There are some threads kicking around here with different people's methods for managing symptoms. I personally don't subscribe to home remedies like oils and similar, but there is some info on the site if that interests you.

500mg 2x/day might be a little much considering that you are hardly having outbreaks. I thought the suppression dosage was 500mg/day based on less than 9 OB's/yr

Anyway - personal opinion is that if you aren't having a lot of outbreaks and you don't need to be on suppression meds (aka you aren't dating) then why are you taking antivirals? Your body will build up its own immunity if you let it

Maybe I don't know, but isn't the reduction of my OBs just the meds doing their job? Why would I go down in dosage if it's working? (I was on a pace for the first year/year and a half where i was having an OB a month. Last year was the first year I started to pace an OB every two months...)

Re: dating and suppression. I might want to still have hookups, or casually date and have sex. In that case, isn't it also my job to protect a person - even someone that I'm not going to date long term - as best I can?