• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

4 months in - is this normal?

Hi,

I was diagnosed with HSV 1 in the genital area 4 months ago, during my first outbreak. I had the swelling, redness and multiple ulcers. It was prescribed 5 days of Aciclovir and the outbreak cleared after about 10 days. I have had out breaks monthly since then and they have been mild with only mild swelling and one or 2 ulcers that quickly healed. I didn't get any treatment for these outbreaks. 10 days ago my lip swelled, my genitals and back passage started to itch and turn red raw- then swelled. I have multiple ulcers inside my mouth that are extremely painful and the redness and itching 'down there' hasn't gotten any better. I've been on an intense 5 day course of aciclovir and am starting suppression therapy, but this outbreak feels so much worse than my first. I even have developed chronic dry eyes - it feels like my entire body is itchy and red and inflamed. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this and have any words of encouragement or suggestions for moving forward? Any idea how long this wonderful outbreak may take to subside? I guess I'm looking for some hope.

That sounds really difficult! I'm sorry you are in pain!

Are you working with a doctor on your treatment?

It seems like you should talk to your primary care physician about each of your symptoms and find out if there are things you can do to get some relief.

I'm clearly not a doctor, but it sounds like you could be having side effects of medication, dehydration, lots of stress exacerbating symptoms, or even some other illness worsening the outbreaks.

Don't take my suggestions as fact in anyway, but definitely see your doctor!

Thanks for replying :) I spoke with my Doctor and he arranged for me to have blood tests for a range of auto immune disorders as he feels my immune system is compromised. I'm now on suppressive treatment for the H and my symptoms have eased. Finally! I'm relieved and enjoying life much more now x

• 1 month later...