• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

When is it safe to have sex?!

This is somewhat of a loaded question, and one I realize no one can answer 100%. I had my first outbreak the beginning of June (first outbreak but I've apparently carried gHSV1 for an unknown amount of time). Everything has healed visibly and has been for weeks. I was on suppressive valtrex and just switched to acyclovir Thursday. I thought valtrex may be causing me to have what felt like prodromes on a daily basis. I still have an occasional tingle/zing daily so far even with the switch in meds. And a random feeling of an itch here and there but that could be a normal itch, who knows. My question is, how can I tell when it's safe to have sex?? I really, really want to be intimate with my fiancé again and every time I decide I'm going to I feel a zing and get too afraid. I know there are other options for intimacy but this has been going on two months now and I would love the intimacy of sex again

My midwife says she thinks the virus is active and said it could take a period of time to settle down. She gave the example of a woman having weird feelings for a year before it "settled down", I said "so I can't be intimate for a whole year?" She said "I'm not saying that" but couldn't give me a clear answer as to when I can safely be intimate :(

Could I really be contagious/the virus be active every day?