• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Can you get genital herpes from toilet paper when you wipe yourself?

I'm 17 years old and I have oral herpes. I've had only one outbreak and it was almost 4 years ago.

During my first outbreak I wasn't really aware of what was happening to me, so my fear is:

Did I gave myself genital herpes? I mean, I'm sure I didn't touch the cold sore and immeadiately touched my genitals, but I may have touched my coldsore briefly while I was in the bathroom, then after touched the toilet paper to wipe myself.

Could a small quantity of the virus survive in the toilet paper and infect my genitals?

I'm freaking out about the possibility of not knowing if I have genital herpes or no for my entire life, because oral herpes was already too much to my mental health. I'm afraid I'll never get to relax.

Also, is it normal that I didn't feel any pain or itch during this first outbreak? I was only sick.

Thank you.

Hey giopeder and welcome,

It's a great question that comes up a lot, but when it comes down to it, in order to auto-inoculate (spread herpes to other parts of your body), it would mean getting some of the liquid from an outbreak and then immediately touching another part of your body that has an open wound. It's harder to do than you might think. There's a possibility that it happened that way in your situation, but it's not worth worrying about. This is why herpes ends up being less of a physical disease and more a psychological one.

Here's an article that talks about spreading herpes more in-depth:

http://herpeslife.com/how-can-you-get-herpes/

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Hey giopeder and welcome,

It's a great question that comes up a lot, but when it comes down to it, in order to auto-inoculate (spread herpes to other parts of your body), it would mean getting some of the liquid from an outbreak and then immediately touching another part of your body that has an open wound. It's harder to do than you might think. There's a possibility that it happened that way in your situation, but it's not worth worrying about. This is why herpes ends up being less of a physical disease and more a psychological one.

Here's an article that talks about spreading herpes more in-depth:

http://herpeslife.com/how-can-you-get-herpes/

Yeah! I know I shouldn't worry about it because the risks are low.

But I feel I'll never relax or feel completely comfortable with someone since I fear transmitting them something I don't even know I have. I would feel really guilt because I already know this could be a risk, but I can't see why I should tell this to someone since there's nothing confirmed.

Maybe what causes all of this is anxiety, so that's what I actually need to solve.

Thank you so much! Your words definetely helped me to clarify some stuff.

I hear you! I was super paranoid when I first got herpes. It's normal to feel the way you do. It's actually a good sign since it shows you care about the sexual health of your partners! ;) Open communication with your partners goes a long way, so talk about the small risks and the unknowns associated with herpes and it can ironically help to have your partners feel that much more taken care of. There's a lot more than just herpes we can get out there, so talking openly about this stuff is not just adult-like behavior, but vital!

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

I hear you! I was super paranoid when I first got herpes. It's normal to feel the way you do. It's actually a good sign since it shows you care about the sexual health of your partners! ;) Open communication with your partners goes a long way, so talk about the small risks and the unknowns associated with herpes and it can ironically help to have your partners feel that much more taken care of. There's a lot more than just herpes we can get out there, so talking openly about this stuff is not just adult-like behavior, but vital!

I think sometimes I feel alone not only because I have herpes, but because I'm paranoid about it, it's good to see that this is just part of the process.

The truth is that herpes most of the time is not really a problem, only relationships can be a bit more complicated because of it, but that's not everything we have in life.

My mind was making this so much more complicated and you really helped me to see how it all works in reality, that's basically something that we can all deal with.

Thank you for being honest and showing empathy. I wish you the best!