• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Wishful thinking or wasting my time?

Ok, in the middle of March, I had unprotected sex with a man I had just started seeing. He ended up finding a blister on his penis afterward and so I went in to be tested. He came back positive for HSV1 and negative for HSV2. My results were negative for HSV1 and positive for HSV2. I was devastated and shocked, as I've never had any symptoms. Went to see my Gyn a few days later, who had me retest, which came back positive again, so I started on Valtrex to at least keep future partners protected and to feel like I'm doing something.

It's been over 4 weeks since my initial diagnosis and I'm still symptom-free. All of my lab work was done by the same lab company within the same week. Both tests were iGg. Is it possible that a mistake could have been made? Would it be worth my time & money to get tested again through a different lab company, or am I still in denial and wasting my money? (My doctor told me he once had a patient have false positive results from both the iGg and Western Blot through the same lab I used..,people lost their jobs over it). I hate that this is a part of my life now.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

@Mishabones If your IGG result exceeded 3.5, I would not bother retesting since you've already had two positive tests. If the result was below 3.5 and you've never had symptoms, I would consider confirming via Western Blot. False positives have been noted below that threshold.

Did your previous partner test via blood or swab? If blood, be aware that it can take up to 12 weeks for antibodies to build to a point to test positive via IGG (and 16 weeks via Western Blot). Also, the IGG misses 30% of HSV1 infections (and misses only 5% of HSV2 infections). So if he tested positive for genital HSV1 via swab, either he already had it when you met, or you are among the 30% who tend to test false negative for HSV1 via IGG. On the other hand, if he was tested by blood, it could be his symptoms were a result of acquiring HSV2 but he wasn't yet testing positive for HSV2.