• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

New here - any help is appreciated! Suffering a lot

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here on the forums so I'll give you a quick rundown before I ask my questions.....

I was diagnosed with HSV2 back in September 2015 after dating my (now ex) girlfriend for about 8 months. She had 1 incident many years ago with a "pseudo outbreak" on her upper leg and has never had symptoms since. I guess I'm unlucky because it is affecting me a lot. She also failed to mention anything beforehand, even though it was ultimately diagnosed as HSV, which makes things worse mentally for me.

Anyways, after a few frequent outbreaks I started taking the Valtrex suppressively, and it has worked pretty well for me overall. Following each early outbreak, however, it always took a few weeks for the nerves down there to really normalize and regain normal sensation. Over time, I stupidly started to ignore the sensitivity (despite it being overall fairly minor), and we would have sex regardless. It was manageable, but I was probably making things worse. This went on for about a year.

Over the last few months of our relationship, things got really stressful and it didn't help my cause. We ended up breaking up in January 2017 and the stress of the breakup really set things off. I did have sex with her a few times which was pretty unwarranted, and a few times where I masturbated and was also unwarranted, that definitely made things worse.

Now I am in a full blown Post-Herpetic Neuralgia scenario where I can't engage in any sexual activity, and the nerves are completely set off. Normal things hurt or feel weird - water in the shower, pants rubbing against my penis, taking it out to pee, etc.

I did see a top doc at Mass General last week and he seems to think I'll get better eventually. But I have a history of nerve issues becoming chronic, and neuralgia in other areas that I am still dealing with, so I am a little skeptical.

Right now I am on 600mg 3x per day of Gabapentin, and he gave me a Lidocaine cream to use whenever I want.

It is starting to take a toll on me mentally with:

1) stress of the breakup

2) hatred for my ex failing to tell me ahead of time

3) future life of daily pain, implications of dating and sex life

So the PHN has been kind of there for around a year, but REALLY set off for about 3 months now.

Sorry for all the info, but any help or suggestions are appreciated!!

I feel your pain. I was recently diagnosed, my partner did not give full disclosure, but ultimately I've had to accept that I am responsible as well for not getting to know the person better before having sex, and ultimately, not having a blood test for both of us before engaging in sexual activity. I was carelees in assuming that everyone was honest with something this serious nd that something like this would never happen to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. It's definitely tough to deal with and takes a different affect on each person. Hang in there! You are still who you are as a person. I hope the gabapentin helps with the pain.