• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Had my first bad disclosure

Hi, new to this forum. I'm almost 30 and have had type 2 for all of my twenties. I usually disclose pretty quick over text and I've never had anything but a positive reaction to it so I'm really thrown. I know logically it's not me it's the herpes being rejected but I've taken it really personally. He was also quite pissed off I didn't tell him before we had a first date, I told him the day after, and now I'm questioning whether I should just spit it out ASAP to stop going through this again. Any thoughts on telling potential partners before you know whether you want them to be a potential partner or not?

Sorry that you've had to go through this. Personally, I don't think you should tell until you think there is potential (whether for romance or a casual fling). But honestly, I think it depends on the guy and and the situation and what feels right for you.

I think the guy had unfair expectations....sounds like he's inexperienced with dealing with unexpected information with grace.

Thanks abby. He said he couldn't trust me as I kept this a secret.. But I hardly think the day after a first date is a secret! I'll get over it but usually I get the complete opposite with men saying thank you for being so honest and it doesn't change how I see you.

In truth to me it sounds like you dodged a bullet. It sounds to me like he was pissed he spent money on the date and wasn't going to get anything out of it with what you told him.

When I was dating online I actually put my conditions HSV2 in my profile and basically came out to everyone who read it. It was quit liberating to tell you the truth. I didn't have to worry about the "talk" and anyone who would potentially be getting a hold of me was OK with it. Believe it or not I actually had MORE men contacting me then before and even had both men and women writing me telling me how brave I was and that it showed integrity. I am actually dating a man who while he didn't reject me he did need some time to think about it. Turns out he had to wait 18 months while I dated someone else in the meantime LOL. He regrets that waited so long and then had to wait even longer :). We've been together now for about 4 months and things are going well and the sex was worth waiting for with him LOL.

Thanks guys,

I think you're right casi, it probably was about buying me a steak. I also like the idea of being upfront on my dating profile but as I'm a youth worker it could end up being screen shot and plastered over our organisations Facebook/Twitter/instagram pages. I will have a think but have already started making jokes about it to people I chat online to already.