• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Outbreaks Research

Here's a question for the community:

If a person already has oral herpes, how does that affect a newly acquired genital infection? Does it lessen the severity of outbreaks "down there"? Since most genital herpes positives have mild/no symptoms, is that because most of them also have oral herpes?

I thought I had read that if you have one, it does lessen the other, but I could be wrong, so don't quote me on that. I can say that I have mild/no symptoms for my hsv 2, but I don't have hsv 1. I think it just affects everyone differently.

@needsupport You can find info on this on page 5 of the Herpes Handbook which is page 7 of this PDF. The heading is "NON-PRIMARY." https://www.westoverheights.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Updated-Herpes-Book.pdf

In short, individual outcomes vary but someone who contracts HSV2 after already having HSV1 is less likely than average to have or notice symptoms of HSV2. Already, 80-90% of people do not recognize a genital herpes infection, but this is more likely among those who already have oral HSV1. It is not universal, however. Some people do express symptoms of both.

@jl13 I've had hsv-1 since I was a toddler. I am now 30 years old. So, I'm just curious if there's a pattern with hsv-2 carriers whom also have hsv-1 and if the new infection has been affected at all. I'm going next week to be tested (17 weeks post last encounter and no outbreaks that I'm aware of).

@optimist thanks for the info. I took a minute to look over the handbook. Like I said to jl13, I've had hsv-1 since I was a baby (2 years old is when had primary oral outbreak). So, before going for my blood test next week, just doing some research since I learned hsv is not regularly tested for during routine std panels.