• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

First month. Second outbreak. Should I take antivirals full time?

I'm posing this question for herpes veterans and newbies alike. I want to know your thoughts and experiences.

It's been under a month since I had my first outbreak and only a week since my official diagnosis (GHSV 1). Yesterday I noticed a small bump on my outer labia which I'm assuming means I'm having my second outbreak. My period is also due soon and from what I've read that could be a reason for why I'm having another outbreak so soon. Sigh.

I'm wonder what your thoughts are on using antivirals (I was given Acyclovir) full time for at least the first year. I know at this point my body still has to get use to everything that's going on. I just don't know if I can do this every month. Also, would my body get use to the antivirals if I did take them full time and consequently have to up my dosage eventually?

@NeedHope_ I've heard a couple arguments for holding off on daily antivirals. 1) When people receive a negative IgG blood test result at the time of the first outbreak, they need to wait a few months to test again to allow time for antibodies to build. In such cases, antivirals can slow down the process of antibodies building, pushing out the time at which a blood test would accurately detect infection. However, it sounds like you had a positive swab test result (correct me if I'm wrong) for HSV1 which would make a blood test irrelevant. 2) Some people prefer to allow their own bodies to work harder to combat the infection at the beginning, without the help of antivirals, and choose only to take antivirals periodically. Again, the idea is that antibodies are building faster without antivirals.

OTOH, outbreaks and shedding are typically more active during the first year, so it could be argued that it's a great time to take antivirals daily if outbreaks are affecting your quality of life or if you have any concerns about transmission to a HSV- partner.

Personally, I take antivirals on a continuing basis because it gives me peace of mind to know I'm reducing transmission risk.

I'm posing this question for herpes veterans and newbies alike. I want to know your thoughts and experiences.

It's been under a month since I had my first outbreak and only a week since my official diagnosis (GHSV 1). Yesterday I noticed a small bump on my outer labia which I'm assuming means I'm having my second outbreak. My period is also due soon and from what I've read that could be a reason for why I'm having another outbreak so soon. Sigh.

I'm wonder what your thoughts are on using antivirals (I was given Acyclovir) full time for at least the first year. I know at this point my body still has to get use to everything that's going on. I just don't know if I can do this every month. Also, would my body get use to the antivirals if I did take them full time and consequently have to up my dosage eventually?

I was told not to take the daily. I was given the same prescription two times a day for ten days. It cleared up (enough) and was given a new prescription to take for 3 days at a time IF I start feeling an outbreak beginning. I'm not sure if it's good to take a medicine constantly because your body may become immune to it over time. Plus, your body should be able to build a strength and immunity against it and hopefully you won't have outbreaks for a long time. I was told that there's even a chance I may never have an outbreak again, or at least for a long time. But I have heard that it could come with a period.

Hi.

I was infected as a 28-y-o Virgin during my first time, practicing safe sex september 2015. I was diagnosed with genital HSV-1 early October 2015. My first out real was horrible, was sick for 2 weeks, couldn't.move, couldn't pee. I was out on aciclovir as well. I kept getting outbreaks until my doctor prescribed suppressive therapy for me to take every day instead of periods of 10 days.

I was on suppressive therapy for a few months, until I felt I wanted to try and see if I could go without. It would come back after a month mostly and I'd start up again with the meds.

After a while, I was able to h without for Longer periods of time but I still get fluish every now and then. Right now, since early december, I'm in a new relationship with a wonderful man who knows and is supportive so I've started more regular suppressive therapy again, for him. I take half a pill three times per week. I had an outbreak for the first time since they relationship started so I've upped my meds and putting him on blowjobs only this week. He's fine with that :P

Anyway. When. I was single, I was just taking occasional aciclovir when I was feeling symptoms, now, 16 months in, I'm taking suppressive therapy for restricting contamination purposes.

I worked my way down to as little suppressive therapy as possible but I 'm not quitting because I don't want to get flu symptoms (not staying home from work for herpes symptoms) and I don't want to get my Bf contaminated.

But if the symptoms in the beginning are close together and prevalentie, I'd suggest a few months of daily meds, just to get things going. Hope that's an answer you can do sth with.

I'm in the same boat. I had my first ob December around this time. It was awful. Mine is around my anus(hsv1). I was put on valacyclovir 2x a day for 10 days. It cleared up rather quickly. A few days ago I started getting the tingling/itching about a week ago. I hopped on the meds again asap to try and catch it before I had the ob(bc that's what the internet said to do...the doctors at the free clinic were no help). It took about a week for the ob to appear and the sore is a a lot bigger that the tiny minions of sores I had last month...and it's just one.

I'm so confused as to how i could have a second ob of type 1 so soon when I read that it happens so rarely. I'm so not looking forward to dealing with this every month. I don't want to take constant meds bc I already take thyroid medication daily...that's more than enough that I need to deal with. I'm starting to get frustrated but I'm really trying hard not to get deep in my thoughts :-/