• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Whitlow, anyone?

SB84

I was just diagnosed with a herpetic whitlow. My one year old was exposed to HSV1 and had gingivostomatitis. As a result, I had my fingers in her mouth. (Before I knew what it was) It's likely both of our primary infections, which I know is usually the worst. It's been 10 days. My dr put me on 800 mgs of Acyclovir, 5 times a day for 5 days. Not sure it will be much help, but I can only hope. Those of you that have recovered, how long before I can expect some relief? This is terrible pain. Also, do the blisters always pop? I'm terrified of getting a secondary infection as a result. Thanks!

@SB84

Well, we can't tell you how soon *you* will recover, but the "good" news is that once it clears hopefully you won't have a lot of problems with it because HSV doesn't particularly like the thicker skin of the fingers and non-genital/oral areas.

Try using Bactine, soak with Epsom salts, and keep the area DRY. Anything you can do to dry it out will help. I also like Ammonium Alum.... And DO keep it covered so you don't spread to other areas as you are likely in Primary and thus don't have the antibodies at the moment to protect you or your child.

(((HUGS)))

Yeah, I haven't soaked in anything since they told me to keep it as dry as possible. But maybe the Epsom Salt soak would help it dry out a little. I wish I could show you what this looks like. Am I likely to get a secondary infection if it does NOT burst? It's very red, but is actually feeling much better than it has been. And I generally keep it uncovered as much as possible since I also suffer from hyperhydrosis on my hands and feet. It's stings if it sweats and can't dry. I am careful not to use it, or touch anyone with it, and my husband is lucky enough to change all the diapers these days. :) thank you for your response dancer

Unlikely to get an infection as long as you keep it clean... make that epsom salts soak (you can make a small strong batch and even just put it on a cotton ball to soak for 20 min at a time) and get that bactine and dab it on with a Q-tip whenever you think about it. Both will help to keep secondary infections at bay as well :)

Yeah, that was exactly how I felt about it. I didn't want to give it more of an opportunity to burst. I've been on acyclovir for 7 days now as my original dosing wasn't responding. It does seem to be a little better today than it has been and the small blisters are turning brown. Was your whitlow under your finger nail? I hope I never get another one. This was worse than giving birth.

Also have another question! Was anyone's skin super sensitive as a result of contracting HSV1? Or maybe it's the acyclovir? It only seems to be on the side the whitlow is on but all of my skin on that arm and my chest is extremely sensitive to the touch.

Ouch, no it wasn't under the fingernail... one was at the edge of my cuticle where there must have been a little cut originally, and there were maybe 4 other blisters off to the side and up to my first knuckle. Didn't have sensitive skin, but had lots of similar symptoms. Like sensitivity to the cold, and someone else mentioned pain around the armpits..

Yeah, warm to hot showers are where it's at right now! Luckily it's healing (even though it looks worse) the blisters are all on the fatty part of my index fingertip and under the nail is a brownish purple. I'm hoping I don't lose the nail, but it doesn't seem to be growing well as a result. Oh well, there are worse things! And yeah, not sure where the sensitive skin is coming from. My arms and armpits feel bruised

I've recently been seeing just a couple people say Epsom salt baths or soaking in it, find it painful. Very interesting, because most from what I've seen and for my own experiences, find relief only in Epsom salt baths. Interesting how things are so different for everyone.

I buy the spray bottle bactine and I have found that it clears things up faster and has numbing in it, so may help. Have you tried Epsom salt soaking w ice in it for some relief?

Although I don't have Whitlow, my inner thighs, if I get an on in my groin, become super tender and when I'm active, my buttock and back of thighs are tender too. My first genital OB, my skin felt like I was a burn victim. This is a result of what you are experiencing, of sheathing being broken on your nerves, when your immune system attacks infected neurons .

All great information! I was wondering if an Epsom paste was too strong. A small amount of Epsom in warm water does help. I won't do that again! It's actually a lot better today, and my skin isn't quite so painful to the touch either. I haven't soaked in an Epsom with ice, but when It was at its peak, I couldn't go anywhere near ice. It was super painful. I should have bought the bactine spray when it was first suggested to me, I bet it would have helped. (Plus, I enjoy the smell lol) thankfully this is almost over, and I'm praying I don't have another like this! Thanks for all your help, everyone!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I am doing well. Luckily for me, I haven't had a single outbreak since my primary infection a couple years ago. Usually the tingling doesn't last more than a day or two if you're about to get a whitlow. My blisters appeared only a couple of days after the initial prodrome. It was easily the most painful thing I've ever experienced in my life, and I've given birth! I hope I don't get another one. I read your original post and it seemed like your tingly fingers were thought to be from carpal tunnel, no?

@SB84 Yeah, I'm currently wearing wrist splints. It seems to be helping? I don't know. I'm obviously super skeptical because the feeling in my fingers (and now toes) all happened to occur after my secondary outbreak in my nose, and I fear that I wasn't as careful with preventing auto inoculation to my hands. I'm just completely thrown off because this tingling has been happening since last month! The tingling and burning has now started to happen in my left big toe, and naturally I thought back to the time I trimmed my nails on my hand and then on my feet a few weeks ago. I go back and forth between being logical that this could be something else and HW.

I fear the pain portion, because I've read on your posts and others that it's super painful! But at this point, I just want there to be an actual OB so I can get this over with.

Have you been checked for diabetes? Tingling can be caused from nerve damage such as the carpal tunnel diagnosis you’ve received. Kidney or liver diseases, vitamin deficiencies, or auto immune diseases can also be a culprit.. I’d say if it’s been going on this long that it’s unlikely to be an OB. I’d head back into the doctor and let them know it’s still persistent and ask for some additional testing. Maybe even a neurology evaluation

@SB84 I've definitely considered being checked for diabetes. I have a follow up appointment in three weeks with her so I'll definitely address my continued concerns with her and request testing to troubleshoot what is going on. I wish there was some way to test for sure that it's not HW (without the blisters since I have none lol) so I can have peace of mind about that and focus on a remedy for what may really be the culprit. Thank you for hearing me out, you're the first person who I've been able to speak with that actually has OBs and can provide SOME understanding. I really appreciate it.