• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Jokes and Stereotypes

@WhatNow17 That stat comforted me too! Because it's too true, I've had HSV-1 since I was a child like most people, and now what looks to be the start of HSV-2. But after a while you just gotta say ah screw it, all I did was join this great big community containing the majority of the world anyway. We're now all just part of a larger, much more supportive/compassionate community than non-HSV likely are. And watch, in the next 20 years or so herpes will be the new HPV. It's simply comes down to the era we're living in, people creating a stigma and making us feel like shit for no reason just happens to be our era. I even saw on another post, someone recounting the horrifically overdramatized herpes images they were shown in sex ed as a child. No wonder we all freak out about it, those images were poured into our brains right before puberty when we were going through serious brain development. And what came next? The jokes kids would make after those sex ed classes, "eww I bet you have herpes!" Our young impressionable minds were practically forced to stigmatize it. Which is society's problem, not ours. And the 67% stat makes me wonder if this thing is just gonna slow take over all humans anyway, so big whoop. And I know, I wish they could at least make a drug that prevents us from outbreaking/passing on to others completely! I understand they can't extract the virus, but shouldn't they at least be able to find something that permanently keeps the virus dormant forever, never to be woken again??

The show Broad City mentioned herpes twice in their last season. It reaffirmed why I LOVE that show because both mentions minimized being HSV+

First mention: Ilana is talking to her new boss and he is telling her the nicknames of her coworkers. He says "thats Valtrex. He had herpes...no shade pretty much everyone has herpes"

Second mention: Ilana has bed bugs and she says "why couldn't I have just gotten herpes and been able to move on with my life!"

Both of these mentions IMO were about putting herpes in perspective and showing that not only is it not the end of the world but that there are way worse things you could have or be dealing with. In Ilana's opinion bed bugs being one of those things lol

Needless to say hearing the word herpes used in a comedy series and not having it be in the context on "oh god thats gross" or "thank god you didnt get herpes" was amazing. I love these actresses so much and it made me love the show that much more

@Trixie8 I'm trying to imagine scenes that are more along the lines of what @annalove mentioned above. Maybe you have a woman who is disclosed to by a dude and she kind of freezes and imagines this ideal scenario where she is 90 years old and receiving a trophy for being HSV-free along with two other residents of the nursing home while 100 other residents are clapping for them, and there's a visual of her college alumni newsletter congratulating her for her lifetime HSV-free award, and she's feeling super proud and smiling, but then her eyes train on some residents in the audience who are making out with abandon and her imagination shifts to having sex with that hot guy who disclosed herpes and she decides to go for it.