• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Some symptoms but not others

Exactly three weeks ago I was the victim of sexual abuse. The man that did this to me was having trouble becoming erect as he was extremely intoxicated. I did my best to fight him off and was under the impression that he was never able to enter me (not only because I was fighting back and because he was very vocal and angry about his inability to get hard but also cause I was still fully dressed in a skirt and was wearing a thong at the time) but I am now showing some symptoms of herpes. The symptoms I have/had include two days of extreme fatigue, one of these days of woke up in the middle of the night with an awful head ache, slight pressure in my pelvis, very light clear discharge from time to time and today I feel like what I would generally chalk up to a mild yeast infection that includes itchiness inside me.. and a slight burning sensation. The symptoms I have not had include pain while urinating, swollen lymph nodes, blisters or sores of any kind, fever, sore muscles or tingling.

I am married to an amazing man that knows I was attacked but out of I guess just shame and embarrassment, I didn't tell him that the man got as close as he did to actually being inside me. . Two days ago my husband got a very bad head ache and had one day of major fatigue. He also said his legs felt heavy. We had sex one week ago.

I know I can't get a swab as there are no blisters and it's too soon to do a blood test... so I feel like I'm just waiting for the next symptom.

I'm horrified that this awful event could lead to a life long condition and even more horrified that it could do the same for my husband. I just don't know what to do or think at this point. Any advice would be appreciated.

First of all, I'm so sorry to hear about your assault. No one should ever be in that position and I'm happy your husband is with you in this time of trauma. The virus treats everyone differently. These symptoms may be indicative of HSV but it could be something else entirely.

HSV is not on the standard panel of STD tests. I didn't know that until recently. Had you been tested before the assault that you know of? Even if you think it's too early, I suggest you and your husband both see a doctor for testing and test again in a few months.

If you haven't already, please seek a mental health care provider as well. The assault alone is enough of a burden but add a physical reminder? You're going to want a support system.