• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

False positive

Two weeks after having unprotected sex with someone I was tested with an IGG reading of 1.19. My partner disclosed to me that she was actually confirmed positive with a high Igg. I just got tested again 14 weeks later and it's 1.42. Terri Warren has said that with such low readings both times it's almost certain to be a false positive. The CDC itself says that readings below 3 are likely to be a false positive. So I am kind of left in a quandary wondering if I even need to disclose that I am almost certain not to have it but there's a chance I might. The scary thing is think all the people that are getting these false positives and then told by their doctor they have herpes when they really don't. Thoughts?

Youre probably someone who would benefit from a western blot test, id look into getting one. You also could take a variety of igg tests. Different tests have different sensitivities/specificities and work differently, so taking different types of igg may clarify your situation. Take a look at this handout to see all the different types and research if you could easily get a variety: http://www.ashasexualhealth.org/pdfs/HerpesBloodTestGuide.pdf

Note that you're someone with recent unprotected sexual contact with someone confirmed positive. That is not good - you are more likely to be true positive than the entirety of the "equivocal" population. Do you have any symptoms? Do you have hsv1? False positive hsv2s are more common in people with hsv1.

Tl;dr it's a dangerous oversimplification to say you almost certainly don't have it at this time, and I would caution you against sexual activity until you have more information.

I will probably get Western blot. But I noticed that Terry said recently that if you have two false positives that low then it's probably the correct reading and you don't need a western blot. I'm waiting to hear back from her on my particular situation.

I should qualify that I did get a rash on my scrotum but Terry says that is usually not symptomatic. And from my understanding 85% of the people who have it don't know they have it either because they don't recognize the signs or they don't have symptoms

There is a good chance you don't have herpes. There is also a decent chance you do have herpes. You can decide what you do with your life.

I know if I were in your shoes, I'd be purchasing a few more igg tests, and looking into the western blot, even though it's a lot of work.

• 5 months later...

I just read this. I was with someone about 13 weeks ago....long story short I decided to get tested. I was equivocal for HSV2 at .97 at about 7 weeks. At 11 weeks I was 1.38, at 12 weeks 1.62 (at this point my doctor put me on valtrex even though I had no symptoms) and then at 13 weeks my IgG came back at 1.33. I spoke to Terri Warren and she told me that the only way to know for certain is to go ahead with the western blot which is what I will be doing.

• 1 year later...