• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

If you are having constant prodrome symptoms and taking Valtrex....

I started Valtex in March after having had H for over 30 yrs. I had approx 6 ob's per yr and wanted to take it to zero. At any rate I started having constant prodrome symptoms such as tingling all over glute, thigh and vaginal area and never had prodrome prior to Valtrex. I transitioned straight to acyclovir from Valtrex and all that is completely gone in two weeks time.

I know that it's not a side effect at all ( tingling) for Valtrex. I even called the FDA and put it in the list of side effects after reading about similar symptoms from others on Valtrex. I was also having vulva pain. It's all completely gone so I don't know if it was the way it's metabolized in my body or what. Just wanted to share.

It's so weird, it was the opposite for me. I had prodome with acyclovir and a horrible reaction to it where I started getting severe cramping. And now I'm on valtrex and I'm fine. I guess it's a different reaction for everyone. Have you had any side effects with the acyclovir? I'm glad it worked out for you!

• 11 months later...

@Katidid I am on valtrex right now. For the first couple of weeks, I had constant prodrome - tingling, zings, little stings, and all kinds of stuff. Now that has all pretty much went away. But I do have some residual issues with hypersensitivity to my clitoris (sorry if TMI) which will randomly be uncomfortable on one side, and if I try to inspect it to see if I see anything touching it makes it worse, its the strangest thing. And I will have random moments of feeling irritated around my rectal area without provocation, if I touch the areas that feel that way, they don't hurt to the touch. My outbreak was in the perineal area, closer to the anal region on the left side. When I had my outbreak, before I knew what it was, that first week I did have burning/irritated feelings to the right side of my vulva. This is the side with the left over hypersensitivity. I don't so much notice burning anymore. It all has my head spinning! I don't know if its all related to nerve damage, or the valtrex, or who knows what. The hypersensitivity I can't remember if it started before or after I started taking the med. I wonder at times if I should switch to acyclovir just to test the waters. But like I said the majority of the prodome feelings have stopped

• 6 months later...

Hi I have been on Valtrex now 12 days and have same issues you described . Also have lower spinal ache as well as random burning feeling in different areas but no visible obs. Did you improve the longer you took valtrex ? Wondering how long I should persevere. Before the valtrex was getting bad obs so have improved in that regard, but just feel like I’m going to get one all the time and the lower back ache is draining .

• 10 months later...

Hi! I’ve had HSV for about 10years. When first diagnosed I would get typical outbreaks, a small cluster of blisters that would turn into a sore, every few months, and decided after a few years to go on suppressive therapy. For the first 7 years I had zero outbreaks and zero symptoms. About a year and a half ago, however, I was getting what felt like prodrome symptoms and it was happening constantly. I would feel irritation around my clitoris and inner labia. Sometimes it would look red but it would go away and never turned into an outbreak. I started using condoms with my husband because he is negative and I wanted to keep him safe. Fast forward to 11 months ago I started getting what I thought was yeast infections every month the week I ovulate. I wasn’t getting any typical sores just becoming red and inflamed and extremely uncomfortable. I started to think that the virus somehow changed the way it presented itself in my boday and would increase my dose during these times in addition to using over the counter monistat. Is resistance to antivirals common in people with normal immune function?  I went to my doctor on Wednesday and they changed my medication to valacyclovir 1g daily and said this should help. So far I still feel like a “zing” down there on and off but no sign of anything. Hoping this medication starts working like it’s supposed to.

I was dignosed 6 months ago following an outbreak. My is around my anus. After first outbreak I had constant UTI symptoms for about 8 weeks. I have now had a rectal pain for around 9 weeks and have just had an awful outbreak which lasted over a fortnight. I am now constantly 'tingling' around my vagina. I'm at the end of my tether with all this and getting rather depressed.I'm wondering if Aciclovir is doing more harm than good? Been on it for 2 weeks now.

• 6 months later...

This is interesting.  

I have been taking valacyclovir since July 2nd or 3rd - 1 every 12 hours.  It almost seems as though symptoms persisted through the dosage.  Burning, shooting sensations in legs, tingling in penis - I'm not certain of anything.  I did not have any sores or sort of outbreak.  However, I do have a bump on my butt near my anus that recently presented itself that seems somewhat tender to the touch.  Dr said it's probably nothing however my anus seems to be a bit more sensitive than usual as of late.

I wake up each morning feeling pretty good and once I start waking up the burning in the thighs start happening and likely once I make it to my office and sit at my desk a while I'm sure the pelvic pain is going to start up again.  

I just don't know what to think anymore of this.  I don't know if I can or will go on living like this. 

14 minutes ago, BassMaster99 said:

This is interesting.  

I have been taking valacyclovir since July 2nd or 3rd - 1 every 12 hours.  It almost seems as though symptoms persisted through the dosage.  Burning, shooting sensations in legs, tingling in penis - I'm not certain of anything.  I did not have any sores or sort of outbreak.  However, I do have a bump on my butt near my anus that recently presented itself that seems somewhat tender to the touch.  Dr said it's probably nothing however my anus seems to be a bit more sensitive than usual as of late.

I wake up each morning feeling pretty good and once I start waking up the burning in the thighs start happening and likely once I make it to my office and sit at my desk a while I'm sure the pelvic pain is going to start up again.  

I just don't know what to think anymore of this.  I don't know if I can or will go on living like this. 

with that being said, isn't valacyclovir designed to suppress symptoms and/or outbreaks - meaning, if taken early you could avoid have any blisters or sores present themselves.  Further on that, if that's the case, would that also reduce the amount of discomfort such as burning and tingling as well?

This is all so frustrating! @BassMaster99 can I ask you what manufacturer is making the valacyclovir you are taking? I have read some posts that people have been having problems with certain manufacturers and I wonder if that is the case. I know generic meds are supposed to be the same as the name brand but I’m wondering if the name brand works better. I was going to ask my pharmacy to change what brand they are giving me for a few months to see how it goes and if it’s the same constant irritation I’m going back to my dr to ask for name brand valtrex.

I will have to check on the bottle I'm not sure - Dr just prescribed it to me after popping positive on an IGM test (1.14) and having symptoms of dysuria, localized heat in the genital area, and pain the pelvis.  Since then dysuria has gone, genital heat may be somewhat present, pelvic discomfort comes and goes.  Additionally, I've developed symptoms of burning in my thighs, and hands and side of nose *(sometimes in my scalp) with the occasional pelvic pressure which feels like it's coming from my kidneys  - it seems like it comes and goes... and occasionally I have a tickle in or around my penis.....

It's be a long strange 51 days to say the least.  @ash128083