• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Does anyone else have lymph nodes in the groin area that swell up because of herpes?

I have noticed that since being diagnosed with hsv2 in June of this year, the lymph nodes in my groin area are always a bit swollen. Just enough for me to notice them. I don't have pain with them, and none of them swell up too large...just enough to freak me out.

I've gone to my primary doc and she ran some blood work and even ordered a pelvic ultrasound to try and see if something else was causing them to be swollen. Everything came back normal. I have to link them beginning to puff up was after I was diagnosed. They also seem to get a little more aggravated when I am experiencing an outbreak.

Any thoughts or experiences would be so appreciated.

Sure have... I was told that lymph nodes swelling is a sign that your body is attacking a virus- the ones in the neck for a virus above the belt, and the groin ones for below. So they should swell right before you experience an outbreak and stay swollen until a little after. I think mine were pretty tender during the outbreak and it took a few weeks for the swelling to go down.

For me, since being diagnosed, they have not returned to normal size. That's five months of little bumps on both sides. I think it is just crazy that you can find way more information than anyone in their right mind needs to find on the internet, but you can't find any medical link to swollen lymph nodes coming along with hsv. Yes, you can find loads about swollen nodes or glands that happen during your initial outbreak, but not much mention about subsequent outbreaks. So, thank you fellow peeps, in shedding a bit more light on this subject. It is always good to feel like you are not alone, or out of your cotton-picking mind! ;))

hey,

thanks for posting. adrial pointed me in this direction because this has been a majorly annoying issue for me. i had my initial genital hsv-1 infection about 10 weeks ago. nothing too serious, but the lymph nodes on the right side of groin swelled up. not exactly painful, but definitely an annoying pressure or heaviness. fortunately, i have not had a subsequent outbreak, but the lymph node pressure comes and goes with quite a bit of frequency. mostly it's just annoying physically, but causes me quite a bit of mental stress. it's hard for me not to focus on herpes all day when my groin feels swollen. like you, my doctors are sort of stumped. this also adds to my frustration and the feeling of, "when will this ever go away?"

just know that you're not alone on this one.

head up.

Awww! Im sorry. Im going on 10 months being diagnosed and it wasnt until a month ago that I had noticeable lymph swelling. Of course it was right where the elastic of my underwear laid, so I was constantly reminded of the swelling. I think I also may have had one in my neck as well.

I did notice more frequent swelling and shooting pains after I slacked on exercising and taking my one-a-day vitamin. I also noticed it was only on one side, the same side as where my occurrences pop up. After a 2 days of taking acyclovir the swelling went down and I actually realized that I was worn down, tired all the time and all around just feeling crappy for the duration of lymph swelling (a few weeks) -- a symptom that never happened for more than a day.

Unfortunately every one has a different immune system so meds or exercise may not work for all hsv sufferers. I wish you good luck!

Of course, I am a "googler"...when something is wrong with me I run to the Google page and then convince myself that I am terminally ill, and will surely die by next week. Thank you for calming some of my uneasiness about my nodes constantly swelling up. As I said, nothing too large or too painful for me, and though it seems like some of us have swelling only with OB's, mine truly have not gone away since my initial diagnosis. I am also one of the people who do not take the antiviral due to how my body responds and reacts to it. I felt so badly on it that I choose not to use it at all. So, I have not tested that theory that the antiviral makes it go away. I can say that my life has been super stressful since my initial diagnosis...and not just due to the hsv diagnosis itself, but to many other matters in my life. So, I suppose only time will tell how long I will have swollen lymph nodes, and what, if anything, makes them go down or go away. Thank you again for all of your posts and for giving me a place to open up and spit things out. Carrying that heavy weight of hsv inside of you is so trying...in so many ways. I am incredibly thankful for this site, and for all of my new friends!

• 2 years later...

It definitely will get better with time. My ex husband used to get swollen lymph glands and he had a really bad to start with. Sometimes it would be worse than others in his subsequent out breaks but nowadays he tells me that he really doesn't get any kind of swelling at all. So it will get better just give it time. :)

mine are constantly swollen. I had one outbreak last march and havent had one since and they are CONSTANTLY swollen. It sucks I feel like im constantly expecting an outbreak...and they never go down. I want it to stop its so uncomfortable sometimes. I guess its better than an outbreak but it makes me feel like a contagious leper all the time.

How long have you had herpes?

My lymph glands were swollen (to some degree) and reacted very strongly pre&post-OB for the first year I had herpes - it drove me crazy and definitely bummed me out. Now I'm on year 7 and even with my [usually annual] OB I don't have nearly the same symptoms as I did initially.

Update on my lymph nodes in the groin area. I have had hsv for over two years. The first, I'd say, 1.5 years, I noticed my nodes would swell with hsv activity. Prodromes, and also with ob's. Now, after the 2 year mark, I do not notice them anymore. It bothered me a great deal at first. It's like your body goes into "red alert" mode, and everything becomes hypersensitive and aware that something is going on. So, mine have eased with time.

@andrewh

If you read through this post, you will see that many people have swollen lymph nodes for awhile ... and that it generally clears over time. If it goes on for any length of time and you are concerned, you may want to get it checked out but I would not panic just yet.... swollen lymph nodes are common when the body is fighting a virus or disease... so just take it as a sign that your body is doing it's job :)

• 6 months later...

I have a pea sized lump I'm my groin, its very small but can be felt and seen since the skin near the groin fold is thin. I'm also having some groin pains and fissure paper cuts in the fold. Also tingling and burning sensitive skin in my thighs. I don't know if all of this is a prodome or an outbreak. I'm waiting for my medication to see if it helps.

It's good to know I'm not the only one with what appears to be a swollen node. What are the size of the nodes you guys have and does anyone have them in the groin fold?

@sil88 I recently just last month had tenderness and swollen lymph nodes in my underarms too and that was a first for me. They went away in a week or something . my body really has experienced some strange shit since being infected.

@victor10 I literally just got over what you were talking about in your groin fold. Take nightly Epsom salt baths during symptoms and it'll clear up a lot faster.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been + for 28 years and last Sunday, for the first time ever, my left sided lymph nodes in my groin suddenly became swollen and painful. It is so rare for me to get an OB, that I didn't know this was a sign that an OB was coming. WHY after 28 years are my nodes suddenly reacting this way?? Anyone else have this experience?

No telling... I think it may depend on the peripheral sensory neurons location that the virus decides to travel down, on whether they swell. I've had it happen once in my primary and then one other time, but don't actually get a physical OB.I also noticed it ONLY happened when I wasn't on meds for suppression. Just a sign your immune system is fighting it.

Hello all,

I was recently diagnosed with GHSV1 for 11months. This month I did not have a visible outbreak, but I believe I have swollen lymph nodes in the groin area. My question is about the location of my tender lymph nodes. It's not located in the crease where my thigh and public area meets but it's located on both sides of my pubic bone. Are lymph nodes located there as well? If so, is it common to have some tenderness there without an outbreak, how long would this last? I went to my gyno and she told me not to worry but didn't explain what the reason it maybe.

Thank you so much.

• 3 years later...

Yes!! I've had swollen lymph nodes since my diagnosis and have had a swollen one on my left thigh for a few weeks now but no outbreak.

I think this is because my body is fighting an outbreak that hasn't materialised.

I really would myself up about this and got worried sick because everything you read and are told by doctors is that this only happens during initial outbreak. 

I had an awful second outbreak before I knew about foods that can be triggers and low and behold I'd eaten a lot of nuts and chocolate and too much alcohol before it. I now take a Lysine supplement daily and eat Lysine rich foods (cheese, yoghurt, fish, chicken, potatoes) and limit others and NEVER eat chocolate or nuts and this seems to have worked for me.