• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

"Equivocal result" on herpes blood test?

Okay so I will start from the beginning. I was in a 9 year monogamous relationship and it ended in the beginning of the year. I met a guy about a month ago and we went out a few times and ended up sleeping together. We've slept together 5 times all protected and he went down on me once with no protection. Well the day after our first few times sleeping together I felt like I had a uti coming on. I knew bc I never showered or peed after the multiple sex sessions. I know I know my fault. I am a pretty anxious person and I tend to think the worst so I freaked myself out that I had an std so I got tested a week after having protected sex. Highly unlikely for anything to be definitive a week after but as people with ocd/anxiety will understand an instant relief is what I was going for. Well my uti was lingering so I went to have it checked out. I also was having allergy/sinus/swollen glands in my neck. It turned out to be bacteria in my urine so I was put on antibiotics. The next day I called and got my std results. Everything was negative except that I was Equivocal for hsv2 with a 1.07 number. Not negative but not positive. Hello Limbo. I talked to my partner and he said he had no obvious symptoms and never had a reason to be checked for herpes and it had been a year or so since last tested. Well he got tested and he got a similar response. They said he was not negative but not positive either. His combined number for hsv1 and hsv2 is a 5.6 but there was no differentiation on his scale. So he was retested today specifically for hsv2. The doctors at Doctor's Care said it could have been a false positive. I know I have to wait 3 months for a definitive answer which really sucks. I'm just looking for people who may have had a similar experience. I will find out on tues or weds about his results and that will probably give me a better idea on where I stand. What are the odds of my equivocal actually turning out to be negative? Would a uti cause a weird reading in my bloodwork? What factors can cause an equivocal reading in the first place especially if I tested only a week after and that was clearly not enough time for antibodies to build? If he is in fact positive what are the chances I wouldn't have caught since we we're safe, and if he is positive should I consider myself positive.? I was given the igg herpeselect and I think he had the igm/igg since it was a combined result. I'm kind of expecting the worst but hoping for the best. Any insight would be much appreciated and super helpful. Thanks.

Hi day_by_day,

I'm Ashley. I have a little background in the public health aspect of HSV so I'm going to try to answer your question as best I can. Equivocal is only negative if three months have passed since exposure to a partner with HSV. I would get the igg test in another three months to know for sure, but from what you're describing, it sounds like your partner almost certainly is positive which is a reasonable indicator that you may have been exposed. I also agree with the above poster about the Western Blot test. You can call University of Washington Virology Research Clinic at (206)720-4340 and ask to speak to a clinician about herpes.