• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Will exercise affect herpes outbreaks?

I'm in my primary outbreak HSV2 and it's been a slow recovery...I'm pushing 3 weeks now. If I walk, run, or bike at the gym, will it make my healing process slower, better, or no effect?

The exercise would really help with my emotional wellbeing, but I don't want to flare anything up if exercise would agitate it.

Any thoughts or experiences anyone could share about exercise and HSV2?

-Otter

I had an o.b. once and i still went for a hike. It was a little uncomfortable but i dont think it made it worse. Just make sure to shower after, (use a blowdryer down there too if need be) and keep urself dry after the workout!?

Exercise is hugely important to mitigating the effects of H on the human body. Exercise cleanses and improves cardiovascular, muscular and neuronal health. Only good can come of it. Just don't overdo it.

With initial OB's, exercise can cause an OB but I believe a lot of it is that the person is wearing tight clothes (ie, compression pants), or their underwear rubs the spot that's already irritated, or they don't clean and DRY the area thoroughly afterwards. Start slow and see how your body reacts, then if you find you are getting an OB, look at what you wore and how you treated it afterwards and hopefully you will be able to avoid it the next time.

I totally get your need for a workout, I exercise some and I don't have any problems with running or hiking. Cycling is a little different and I do seem to be prone to OBs post cycle (20+ miles or more). But I love it so I haven't given it up altogether, although I have seriously backed off on the amount of miles I log weekly. And what Dancer says is absolutely right on. Wash and dry asap! I have a camping trip coming up with bike/hike/kayak and I totally had to book campsites with showers. To do without would be asking for mega trouble. Even after a hot sweaty day of just life I find myself showing 2x daily. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for all the good info and advice. I started off slow with biking and I wore those not so stylish padded shorts for bikers:) As soon as I was done with the ride, I immediately rinsed off in the shower. Nothing got worse, so I'll consider it a success.

Today I went for a brisk 40 minute walk on the treadmill....this actually was more irritating, so I stopped once it felt more uncomfortable than normal. Immediate shower and everything seemed A-Okay.

Soooo, as long as I don't over do it on the exercise and seriously listen to my body and keep the area clean, I think working out while having an OB is going to be okay.

Wahooo! Taking back my power point for me :) Take that H!

-Otter

For anyone exercising. I have found that the new Gold Bond Spray powder is magic. Especially after a sweaty workout and a hot shower. It has a nice cooling sensation(not like icy hot lol) and really helps keep everything dry. I know for me this is crucial especially in these hot southern summer days. I use it religiously.

• 2 weeks later...

@NSgreenville Thanks for the tip about the spray. As a very active (bike, hike, run, swim, yoga, etc.) Southerner, I feel you on the humid climate. Have you--or anyone else--tried using one of those throat numbing sprays??

My doc mentioned oragel to put on the sores. It did help numb them but putting it on just hurt and it was really hard to spread the gel, plus it contributes to a moist environment.

Thanks!