• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I have HSV-2 my boyfriend does not

My boyfriend and I have been together for about 3 years now we have been using protection and I also have been taking the anti-viral medication. I have not had any outbreaks since we have been together, now we are at a point in our relationship that he is just hates using condoms and he feel like he can't give me oral sex, it's been about 3 months now and no sex, for the first time since I've have this virus I am feeling rejected by my own boyfriend. Yes he has been tested everything came out negative, I have introduce him to this site and he said he is also willing to go to a support group with me. I just don't want to lose him over this.

I know that his reservations regarding sex may be difficult to be patient with.

But sex is icing on the cake for relationships, and should be handled with a lot of understanding and mutual enthusiasm.

It seems like he certainly does have some internal things he needs to take the time to figure out, and your support in that will be important.

Hitting the issue point blank is an option. It may not be the best for your style of relationship, but it is worth considering if you are each emotionally resilient enough to take some harsh truth from each other and still feel loved.

Choosing the right words is the key.

Understanding that the thoughts and emotions of the other are real things that they experience and those things are profound is helpful in gaining a perspective that will help you to talk to him about the topic without becoming reflexively defensive, or worse, reflexively accusatory.

Group counseling, relationship counseling, and researching together are great tools. But they are only a part of the equation. The biggest factor in you each reaching a level of comfort in sexuality will be effective communication and willingness to hear and understand each other. Especially when the things the other has to say may be difficult to hear and understand.

It may seem like initiating a conversation about lack of sex will only open a can of worms in the relationship and result in a lot of hurt feelings. But there is an elephant in the room. You need to talk about it.