• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Dating Over 50

Thought I'd start one for us ladies 50 and up!

I divorced at 50 and started dating about a year later... online and otherwise. So, here at 53 and just finding out I'm HSV2 positive I was like, who is gonna want me now?! lol

Well, I left my age range 30-55 and there are plenty of men out there that are interested. I'm not so interested in 30-45ish as I can't relate, but for possible fun and young energy about Life, of course.

I like 40's for their energy and zest for life. Sometimes their focus on career and family gets in the way, but this is a good thing if it works with my schedule and they can handle dating and family and career. I was the same in my 40's. I have yet to date anyone in their 50's beyond a couple of dates. Just how it works for me now.

There are also sites out there for folks that are H etc positive - and I have my first date tomorrow.... no talk needed. And no stigma And no judgement And in some way, folks that are positive, "get" life more than most due to having H. It's kinda cool because if you have H, I do believe we become much less judgmental.

So my thought is, put out age range that works for you and check out online sites, like Positive Singles if you want to avoid the "talk" and all that comes with.

Life is definitely not over at 50 with H!

• 2 months later...

Hi, I enjoyed reading your post. I am 56 and in the process of divorce. It has been coming on for 2 years, so I have had a lot of time to consider what my life will be like. I was married for 28 years and contracted H from my husband within the first year. I knew he had it, but just did not consider how seriously it could impact your life. I only had 1 or 2 outbreaks a year for a long time and then I started having painful OB monthly. I think it might have been hormonal. Finally my OBGYN put me on medication and I have been taking it for a number of years with no OB. Now I am in perimenopause. I am wondering if I stopped taking medication, if I might never have an OB again, or rarely? I am going to ask my OBGYN in July when I go for my yearly appt. As for dating, I am anxious about it. I am feel like I am definitely dating material, and still enjoy sex, so NOT dating isn't something I want to accept. I have heard so much conflicting information about Positive dating sites. Can you tell me if there are "filters" on regular dating sites so that you can only be seen my people who also are willing to disclose up front? My husband doesn't want a divorce and if I had second thoughts, it would probably be because we have enjoyed a healthy sex life together and I'm afraid that I will never have that again. I totally "get" that dating and being brave about disclosure is the best way to go, but because I have suffered rejection early in my life, it is one area where I lose my sunny disposition. Just the thought of being rejected makes me want to withdraw from a situation where it is possible. Thank you for any advice you have for me.