• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Anti Viral Side Effects

I went on Acyclovir and it did not work well, but I felt fine taking it. I recently switched to Valtrex a couple weeks back and have been wondering about my low grade headaches and fuzzy / dreamy / tired feeling in my head that is almost 24/7. I did read Valtrex can cause this in some folks. So far, I'll stay on it as maybe 4+ months in I'm finally getting ahead of a continuous BO.

Curious what others have found or tried or felt.

I just searched Valtrex side effects, I am having issues as well. I had my first OB the beginning of January. My Dr put me on Valacylovir 500mg. once daily for suppression. No problems with the dose for suppression. I had dry eyes right at the beginning, but that went away.

4 daily at the first signs of prodrome symptoms. My first OB I took the higher dose for 6 days and didn't notice a problem. 3 days ago I started feeling a burning sensation so I upped my dosage. My skin looks fine, and the irritation comes and goes, but I don't feel good and I think it is the Valacyloir. My throat hurts, my back hurts, I have had bouts of dizziness. I missed work today. I am going back to my single pill tomorrow. I think the next OB I am going to just take 2 pills especially if it is this mild.

My dose is 2 per every 8 hours for 7 days. Supression is 2x per day. I just know that I feel like I'm high all the time and I've another 6 days to go on high dose as I just can't seem to get past the burning or hyper sensitivity oddness of it either. I will say at least a finger or two or underwear isn't causing a BO last couple days as I keep testing the waters bit by bit - but still can't fathom a good fucking let alone getting myself off even without penetration.

After my initial outbreak most of my sensitivity was gone in two weeks. I have had just a few tingles up until 3 days ago.

When I had recovered from the first outbreak- I used a vibrator but didn't turn it on. My nerve endings were hyper sensitive but it was not painful. It was actually really really good!!

Sunset- are you on 200mg. Or 500mg?

I think I was on acyclovir when I was engaged and taking for suppression. For the first few weeks I was insanely thirsty and lethargic, both listed as side effects. I also gained quite a bit of weight. I looked this up online and found a few places that mentioned weight gain in women. I'm not 100% sure it was entirely caused by the meds alone as I went from a physically active job to a sedentary one, but the weight gain was faster than I usually experience. And I lost weight after stopping. Which bums me out if I have to get back on it in the future-ugg.

I'm on 500mg at 6 per day (2 every 8 hours). Crazy tired and fuzzy but I think its working...

I can't wait to not tingle and feel weird everytime I wipe, put on underwear, wash and test the waters for play time.... going on 4 months now.

I don't think antivirals cause weight gain. I think the stress of having HsV2 and having to take pills multiple times a day as a reminder can be a bit depressing especially if symptoms do not go away and sex is not an option months on end. Eating is comfort as is not exercising when in reality, we all know it's the opposite lol

Sunset- that is a really heavy dose!! No wonder you are experiencing so many side effects.

I have not had weight gain from the Valacylovir.

When I had my primary OB, I found wiping really painful so I used a peri bottle to rinse, then blotted with white wash clothes. I bleached the wash cloths in hot water. I also showered with a pH balanced feminine wash. (Summer's Eve) I ran out and have just been using a shower gel for sensitive skin. This was about the same time I started having my current sensitivity (pretty much over it, no OB.)

I am going to go back to the feminine wash and stick with it. Hope you are feeling better!!

Yes, it is a high dose and I've read that sometimes it's what has to be done. I think my autoimmune issues do not help! I also find that if I don't drink it matters. Alcohol is pure poison.... but damn, sometimes a couple drinks and dancing is worth it!

I just blot dry... working my way up to wiping... so sad and hilarious we talk of such things, but grateful I can :)

I have read many times to avoid such things as summer' eve - but if it's working for you, awesome. Don't fix what ain't broke! My girl likes to just be left alone beyond estrogen cream for HRT and lube if needed for when, well, I get to get back on that cowboy and save a horse?! lol....

PresentMoment - oh good! And today is a better day again... hesitantly hopeful.... and I have my first date since last June - so that should be good for the soul in and of itself!

Thank you for all the wonderful support! Muah!

Slowly paring down my daily dose... feeling less fuzzy. Alcohol definitely mattered, for me on high dose of valtrex. BUT I'm paring down....a FIRST in 4 months for sure - woop!

Hesitant to masturbate still... patience patience patience... but paranoid of backward steps.

The date went well.... I rarely go for #2 date, but plan to this Thursday. He just had his wisdom teeth out so it was kinda humorous in all ways actually. Looking forward to Thursday - as the kiss goodnight can only get better.... she hopes lol

• 2 months later...

I am on Valtrex, 2G a day. I take 1, 1000mg tablet twice a day. The first day i felt like my vision was off, for example i was staring out into the grass and some parts looked higher (they weren't). I feel no side effects anymore ad i'm on day 3. I am on the 2000mg for 5 days then i cut down to 1000 (500mg x2) for a year. I'm so nervous for another OB. This was the worst thing I have ever experienced and I NEVER want to go through it again. I'm hoping this kicks it in the butt for awhile.

How have you been recently?

Ok, my question is I took Valtrex Tuesday and Wednesday. A very bad rash came on my back. Do you all think that the Valtrex caused it. This is my first ever taking it. I have taken acyclovir 1 time for a couple of days. This was 2 years ago. This time I took it because I didn't want my system to get worst. I don't know what to do. Should I stop taking the Valtrex. It was 500 mg 2 times a day. Maybe it was because I took them at the same time. I just don't know. Can someone help me.