• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Positive blood test negative swab

What are the chances that this is a false positive? Does this just mean that the infection is not recent but been there for a while so a culture is showing as negative? Been in pain for a while and have supposedly been having an OB for ten months, wouldn’t a culture come back as positive in this case?

What are the antibody values on the IgG blood test? If lower than 3.5, it could be a false positive.

Generally speaking, if someone experiences a noticeable primary outbreak, it can last a few weeks while recurrences generally last a few days. Ten months of chronic symptoms does not reflect how HSV normally presents.

Positive cultures are considered definitively positive. Negative cultures mean the virus was not detected at that time which can mean the person is negative or simply not shedding virus (or enough virus to be detected) at that time.

I would check to be sure the blood test was an IgG test and also check the value (above or below 3.5), but also look into alternate reasons for 10 months of chronic symptoms since that suggests something other than herpes is going on. I did once read of a woman who thought she was having an outbreak for a few months and it turned out she had a secondary bacterial infection that started at the time of her primary outbreak. She mistakenly assumed the secondary infection that lingered was an extended outbreak.

I tested at 4.81 for type 2, I hear that is not likely to be a false positive. However my only sexual partner is negative for both types and I have no sores or blisters to accompany the pain that I can see. I’m thinking the recent negative culture is misleading based on what you said, since the blood test was igg. My doctor is giving me false hope that it’s a likely false positive and I want to hope it is too but with my luck...

@Waffle Your case is unusual in that your only skin-skin genital-genital contact was with someone who has recently tested negative for HSV2. It's possible he could be in the 5% who tests false negative for HSV2, but also possible you are testing false positive for HSV2, even though that's uncommon over a level above 3.5. It is not impossible it could be a false positive. Terri Warren who is an expert in the field has mentioned seeing two such cases where people who tested in the 4-5 range tested negative on Western Blot. In your case, I'd look into a Western Blot test which is more sensitive. I'd also push for an answer on your chronic symptoms since that's not how HSV2 presents.

Swab tests are more accurate if taken from actual lesions. Just irritation isn't enough. Trial testing they do they actually take biopsies of your vaginal wall as part of the program - as if you don't show any lesions, they don't know where to go.

Don't recommend biopsy, but would highly recommend going on an antiviral high dose then suppressive until it clears up. Maybe go to a clinic and see what they say, most docs are not very educated on H.... I tell my gyn stuff and she is like, really? Wow, that's rough! And I'm thinking, you think? lol...

Frustrating - sorry you are in the midst of this and for so long.

Worse is only good as you might get a better sample this next time as open lesion is best - only other option is a biopsy, if you can find a person to do it. Some H trials do as they can't get lesion samples so they go for the skin, like in a coloscopy.

My symptoms got worse, better, worse, better, moved and at gyn yesterday for another deal and I being that was the most action my girl has had since last June! - I think it gave me a slight bo as it itches and underwear is uncomfortable - today. HSV1 is nothing compared to HSV2. HSV2 is the alpha H for sure and harder to fight off.

So - getting worse is to be expected.... do the duration high dose until cleared up. Or try another antiviral. But I'd get tested again in a month. It took me almost 12 weeks for blood to show positive even though I was miserable.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if you have any updates, Waffles. I am in a similar situation: blood test was positive for HSV1 (IgG = 16). I've experienced 3 outbreaks and cultured 2 of them but they both came back negative. While my doctors have prescribed Valtrex and it has helped, they don't believe it's herpes. Very confusing for me and wondering if anyone has suggestions or advice for me also. Perhaps this Western Blot test?

I still have no sores or lesions from this 'outbreak' and nothing changed on valtrax. Never had sores or blisters or anything but I may be asymptomatic or not yet had an OB, and my other pain could be unrelated. My gyn had me back in for more extensive testing. She said they were going to do more focused tests and try as many of them as possible. It's been over 2 weeks and still haven't heard back. Swab was likely negative due to a lack of sores, blood test still doesn't make sense to me but I'm just waiting and hoping.

If you are having outbreaks are you also having sores appear? It's possible you have a different kind of infection. I hear that testing extremely high on the Igg is a sign of high immunity to the disease, and that you are likely not infected. 8 or higher seems to be the range for antibodies being resent due to a high resistance to it, not an actual infection. I read this online though not sure how reliable that is. It still baffles me as to how little doctors and obgyns know about this and how much run around seems to happen.

Thank you, Waffle. I will look into the high igG. According to my last exam, there were sores/lesions and that was what was cultured. One of my doctors also thinks it could be another kind of infection. My gyno seems less concerned/interested in pursuing more tests than yours. But, I will pursue it. I agree that it's ridiculous about the gynos' knowledge and "professional" practice regarding HSV. Always be an advocate for your own health!!! Nevertheless, I like my gyno, but going to my acupuncturist to pursue some chinese herb treatments also.

I will update this thread if I have any to share.