• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

One sexual partner, how did I get herpes?

I recently found out that this searing pain I’ve had during sex for the last ten months was not a slew of UTIs, yeast infections or potential vulvodynia, but HSV 2 that my gynecologist failed to test me for, despite asking to be tested for all major stds. The odd thing is that I’ve been with the same guy who took my virginity years ago and have never been in sexual contact with another person aside from kissing and some casual massaging from previous relationships.

My partner has tested negative for HSV 2 and on top of that has been having unprotected sex with me for the duration of this outbreak and has not contracted it. I tested negative for HSV 1 and he is waiting on test results for this type. The only thing that seems to explain this situation from what I have read is that he is likely positive for type 1 and experiencing asymptomatic shedding through which I contracted type 2 during oral sexual contact.

This however also wouldn’t explain how I have not contracted type 1 from kissing him. And if he comes back negative for both types I will be even more at a loss for answers. Are there any other potential ways that I could have contracted type 2 if no one but him has come into contact with me sexually and I only experienced this outbreak after over a year of being sexually active with him? This situation is causing so much doubt and blame to be pointed my way and it seems unfair that I should have to suffer as the damaged and ‘unclean’ member of this relationship when he is the only logical source of this disease.

Is it at all possible for someone who has type 2 and has never had an outbreak to test negative considering their body hasn’t yet built up antibodies to the disease? I have so little answers and the situation is putting such a strain on my personal life. Any insight would be very much appreciated.

First off, did you actually see his results? When I was tested, it didn't just show one hvs type, It showed both. Same with my husband who is negative. The test was through blood and presented values for both types (if there aren't values for one or the other, it will say hvs1 neg or hvs2 neg). In our case he was negative and I was positive for 2 which I pretty well knew. Anyway, my point is....if he's waiting on his test reults, it should come back with values for both hvs 1 and hvs2. If, he is positive for 1, then you would have gotten hvs1 genital, not hvs2. Hope this makes sence.

Have you seen your and your boyfriend's lab results? If you have not had sex with anyone other than him and you have not had oral sex with anyone other than him then the following situations come to mind...

1) You don't have HSV and had a false positive

2) you do have HSV and got it from your boyfriend who is testing a false negative

3) your boyfriend is being dishonest about his lab results

Do you know your numbers? Lower numbers around 3 should be confirmed. You could look into a western blot test. That assay is suppose to be more accurate than any other HSV tests available.

HSV is passed on by skin contact not semen so it is possible you got it from the massaging you mentioned. Especially if the person was grinding without penetration. Or possibly touched themselves then touched you. But I am also wondering if it is a herpes OB. Did your Dr do a swab test? I can't imagine having sex during an OB, I was in horrible pain. (I am recently diagnosed, only had one OB.)

Good Luck!!

The most I’d done previously Is give a hand job but it never involved anything touching my own genitals. Is it possible for someone to carry the disease through the skin without contracting it themselves, like have hsv 1 infected saliva on their fingers from another person and transfer it to genitals? I may be reaching but nothing has made sense.

I have also had general vaginal pain for this nine months that came and went as burning or painful urination but it wasn’t intense enough for me to feel unless using a tampon or during sex. The infected area is only up inside me apparently so I can’t actually see if there are sores.

I had a blood antibody test done for both types and was only positive for type 2. My partner came back negative for both. Due to my doctor trying to treat me for UTIs and yeast infections since it started this pain has lasted a very long time. I want to believe it could be a false positive but my symptoms seem to be in line with an outbreak generally from what I’ve read. A discouraging aspect is that I’ve been taking the initial dose of valcyclovir to treat it and the burning has only gotten worse since I started, so it may be that it was actually a false positive or I’m not reacting to treatment. My partner also not contracting type 2 after multiple unprotected sexual and oral encounters while I’ve have this ‘outbreak’ might support that idea too.

Are you on birthday control? Hormonal birth control can cause painful sex. I dealt with it for years and had no idea the BC was causing it until I stopped taking it to make a baby with my husband. Pain when away. Now I have a low hormone IUD and it's not a problem.

Herpes is not spread in saliva. The virus she's directly from the skin. This is why skin to skin co no tact is necessary for it to spread. You just don't have the risk factors for HSV2. Definitely retest. And look into a Western Blot. I believe Washington University is the only place offering it. Your healthcare provider should be able to order it for you. Google it and see.