• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

IGG level question

JDH

Hi

I am newly diagnosed with HSV2. I think my first outbreak was in November but I'm very confused. November was the last time I had intercourse and I had the outbreak about 3 days later. I did not go to the doctor. I had another outbreak in January, I went to the doctor and the swab was positive for HSV2. I've only had 2 partners over the past 6+ years. The man I was with in November was still testing negative through the first of January (last test). My IGG was drawn during a follow up visit this month and came back at 6.68. My question is does this indicate that I've had this longer than 3 months?

So confused and sad.

Some people find sex can trigger an outbreak, especially if the sex is particularly vigorous or a while has passed since last having sex, so it could be the sex triggered symptoms of a preexisting infection. However, IgG tests don't reach maximum accuracy for 12 weeks, so it's possible your sex partner in November was infected soon before you got together and hasn't tested positive yet.

I don't know if it's possible for antibodies to reach a value of 6.68 after only 3 months. I've seen someone ask an expert if something similar was possible after a few weeks and she said it was not, but 3 months, I don't know. And different people build antibodies at different rates, so if he tests positive in a month, it will not necessarily mean you had it first, unless he did not have other sex partners in the couple months prior to your encounter. The virus sheds much more frequently when someone is newly infected, so I wouldn't rule out that scenario, but I think the preferred outcome will be that he is negative and you'll know you've had it a while and did not infect him.