• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I feel like a detective!

I recently found out I have GH and have been lurking on this site to gather information. But I'm thinking I'd like some feedback on my situation so here it goes.

I had a horrible "initial" outbreak that I'm still recovering from. The doctor didn't even send my swab to the lab because she could visually diagnose me. So I'm not sure if I have HSV1 or HSV2. My current boyfriend, P, that I first slept with in mid-December has HSV1 but was negative for HSV2. He will have bloodwork done again in a couple months because I've read it can take some time for it to build up in your blood. He hasn't had an oral sore in like two years. So I'm confident I did not contract this from him.

My previous partner, C, who I was with from July to early November, has never had any symptoms, oral or genital, and had bloodwork done that only showed positive for HSV, but didn't identify the strain. He's also confused because we were together shortly after he got out of a two year relationship and he says she never had any symptoms either. I know an outbreak can come months or years later.

So...I guess I'm just looking for some thoughts. I know I may never be 100% sure about how I contracted this, but I'm thinking it's likely from C.

This is going to be a very unsatisfying response...but in my opinion there is no way to feel more confident about one of these partners over the other being your giver. Unless these are the only two men to have ever gone down on you or had sex with you...just as likely it’s any of your past partners as well.

Your current boyfriend very likely could have given you genital HSV1. He does not have to have an active sore to pass it to you, oral herpes sheds also. Him being negative for HSV2 does not remove him from the possibility, since u don’t know your type of HSV.

The only advice I have is to not obsess over who you got it from because it changes nothing. Your doctor should 100% have typed you because it makes a big difference as to how you proceed with your sex life in general, but also with your current partner. If you have another outbreak I would recommend going back and getttinf it typed.