• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Having an outbreak, I'm in the 1-2% that has oral HSV-2

Hello everyone. First off, is there anyone else on here who has oral HSV-2? Preferably someone who won't scare me with horrible outbreak stories lol. I am trying to be positive (haha, get it?) about my situation but like everyone on here, it's hard. I had oral and anal sex with another male on December 13. Stupid me, but because I trusted this guy and been fwb for a few months, we didn't use condoms this time around (and I even inspected his member for any anomalies like redness or bumps). Anal didn't last long at all, so I decided just to do oral. I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure I took a good shower afterwards. Anyway, on the 15th, I started my family vacation to Disney World. On the 16th, my throat started getting sore and I looked at it and noticed a white spot forming at the very back.

Next day, woke up with a very high fever (didn't have a thermometer but found out later it was 105) and the back of my throat and tonsils were coated in this white stuff. I felt super super sick, but I pushed through it to enjoy myself. I did faint twice in the bathroom and once my mom had to get me out when I was naked, very embarrassing. I hardly ever get sick but i was definitely having something go on. I figured it was strep and eventually started wondering about gonnahrea and clymidia based on how it looked to me.

Went to a walk in clinic on 18th, tested neg for strep but doctor thought it looked bacterial and gave me a z-pack of antibiotics for three days. On the 19th while still at Disney, the guy messaged me saying I gave him something as he is having symptoms on his penis that look like herpes. He got very very angry at me accusing me of giving this to him but I had test results from October that say I'm STD free at the time and that he never showed me his. 20th, he goes to doctor who tell him visually it is herpes but they swabbed him too. 21st I got back and went immediately to doctor who gave me more antibiotics, shot in butt, and tested me for everything. Swabs for gonno and clymidia as well as flu and strep were negative but never suspected hsv-2 in throat. The antibiotics were for 10 days and by day 5 I was feeling much better and it was almost gone.

Test results came back, I was equivocal at 0.92 after 8 days from encounter. Ironically, I did not notice any other symtpoms and by the 26th, he contacted me out of the blue to tell me his swab was positive for hsv-2. Freaking out, I decided to look at my butt and noticed a very small red spot near butthole. I immediately went to doctor, had them do blood work and swab it. Birthday was on 28th so tried to be happy but was inside very sad and very scared and on Wednesday, January 31 came the news....my blood work showed I was positive for hsv-2. Next day, swab came back negative.

Obviously, I am devastated and to be honest, do not know where this is! Is it in my mouth or ass or both?? Only symtpims I had was high fever, chills, white coated throat that did not hurt until towards the end when it was clearing up but I really don't remember any pain around my ass or anything during this time when I wiped or washed. My logic is telling me that if I was so sick and immune system so down during this time, I would most likely had an outbreak down below but no, only my throat.

Today, I think I know part of the answer. Yesterday, I noticed a slight burning sensation on my gums and decided to look. Sure enough, two very small red spots are forming. This morning, looked again and they are still there but now one tonsil is again turning white and I have a little bit of redness at back of throat.

So yeah, I am most likely in the small percentage of people who has HSV-2 in mouth. As you can imagine, I'm very scared and I have high anxiety all the time so I'm going to a doctor today to get some meds for that to reduce the stress and to get this swabbed to get it confirmed. Even now, I didn't see anything noticable down below so I'm hoping I didn't contract it down there too. Figured if hsv2 orally is rare to have an outbreak and I'm having one, I most likely would have one down below too.

I don't think you'll ever know for sure unless you get swabbed in both locations. If you contracted it orally, you may never have symptoms again, so if you feel it's important to know, try getting swabbed now. Even your genital symptoms may never recur, though they are more likely to recur than oral symptoms, if they are indeed caused by HSV2. Oral HSV2 is visually indistinguishable from oral HSV1, it just sheds 25x less frequently on average and is much less likely to cause recurrences. If you happened to contract it ONLY orally, then you'd also be largely protected from contracting genital HSV2 in the future, though it sounds like you have experienced symptoms in both locations.

Another thing to keep in mind is that HSV symptoms are often triggered by dips in the immune system. So it's possible you had some type of non-HSV throat related illness that triggered a genital outbreak and you are only infected genitally.

Edit to add: IgG blood tests are negative for HSV during the weeks following infection because it takes time for antibodies to build, so if your result was positive (and above 3.5) very soon after that encounter, it points to a longer existing infection. However, if your result was < 3.5, this could indicate either a false positive or antibodies building from a newer infection.

Here’s the thing - negative swabs aren’t 100%. If your swab is positive, that’s pretty solid. But a negative swab only means it might have been an old blister that didn’t have enough stuff left to show up on a test.

I did an insane (literally, insane) amount of research on oral herpes - so a few things

1- IF what you’re experiencing in the mouth is herpes, that is ONLY a primary case of herpes. Any recurrence would look like normal herpes/cold sores around your mouth.

2 - repeating what was said before - if it is oral hsv2 (which I don’t think it is), it will be a non issue for you

So I think I’m a little confused - do you think you had this, and gave it to this guy? Or do you think he gave you this?

I honestly believe your throat is a bacterial infection - you said yourself it cleared up with antibiotics - and the spots on your gum are probably canker sores.

I honestly have had so much hypochondria about oral hsv2 I really feel like I’m expert level by this point. If you’re worried, get your throat swabbed for hsv2. I nearly guarantee it will come back negative.

Yes, I get tested every three months and had all my records printed over the past 4 year's since i moved here. Always tested for herpes 1 and 2 and always negative. I believe this guy gave it to me as his doctor never tested him for herpes by blood so he may of had it and just had an outbreak while we had our encounter. I became equivocal when I got tested in December 8 days later and positive for HSV2 in January roughly 45 days later but only had symptoms in my mouth. Up until that second testing on the 26th I've been washing myself down there without a glove so I pray if I do have it down there, I didn't spread it to my hand unknowingly.

I thought the same thing with this red spot down below that it may be old but if it's still there over a week later, it was the swab should have been accurate in testing it as it most likely was still active. Honestly, just an hour ago I was looking at it as closely as I could with a mirror and poked at it numerous times with gloves and it doesn't even hurt and hasn't grown in size. I'm hoping it's nothing but I have been noticing strange nerve feelings in my thighs and crotch area...hoping that's just paranoia.

I'm also thinking the antibiotics were just a coincidence that it was clearing up while I was taking the pills. Well, so far, I've had symptoms mainly in my mouth and this random red spot below. I haven't taken any antivirals either....kinda want to see what will happen. I'm thinking if I do have it orally and if this was a mild outbreak, wouldn't it be likely that down below would outbreak too since orally is rare to have outbreak and below is more likely to have one?

Oh I should mention I do have ulcerative colitis as well and just recently had my yearly colonoscopy on January 5th. Maybe when they had a camera in me, they caused more hemroids around the anus and possibly caused this new red spot. Red spot is not obvious when just looking at my hole either, you gotta use your thumb and pointer finger to open it a little to get the skin to unclinch and you'll see this tiny dot outside the rim of the hole but not in the rim if that makes sense. Tmi I know but trying to be descriptive as possible.

When my doctor swabbed it, she said she seen it and said it looked like irritation and swabbed it. Later when she told me I was poz for this, I asked her how bad the dot looked and she said "honestly, I didn't see much of anything but I swabbed it for you". The hell?!