• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Having a really rough time with this. .

Earlier today my doctor called and gave me the bad news, I have 1&2, and I've never had an outbreak. I had no idea anything was even wrong. In fact, I almost didn't even go get the STD test done, because I didn't have any symptoms of anything but then I figured hey it won't hurt I might as well, it has been a while since my last test, I know it will get easier, and I'm only really upset because I just found out but all that keeps running through my head is that it's never going to be the same being intimate with somebody, because I'm always going to be afraid, sorry for rambling. I don't even know what I'm on here to figure out, just thought maybe reading or hearing from other people that have known about having it longer might calm me down. I'm only 21, I didn't see this coming. I haven't even seen the doctor again yet, I don't go back until Tuesday. What should I be expecting when I go see the doctor on Tuesday anyways?

Doctors honestly don't care about herpes that's why they never test for it, my doctor told me she doesn't test for it because it's a non issue if the patient doesn't know I was 21 when I found out im 22 now I know the feeling trust me being so young to have this but I promise u it does get better, I found out because I had a full on ob out the blue ,got it w a condom I'm like 99% sure of that, I have hsv 1&2 never gave my ex either strain, I wish I found out the way u did , I'm one of the unlucky ones that got the worst of the worst outbreak months possibly years after catching it, private message me if you wanna talk more

1) I would ask for more details as to your test results. If it was a blood test from what I have read those often can be false positives. I wasn't diagnosed by blood work so I am confident I am positive...but if I had been diagnosed that way I would ask for details on the number (from my understanding higher number = you've been exposed for while) and ask if I can retake the test in a few months

2) if you want to take a daily antiviral because you have a regular partner or are in a relationship (or just simply want to)...I would ask the doctor about different options. In my case my doctor sent in a prescription for daily 1 gram valacyclovir pills. Cost me $20 with my insurance. Turns out after doing research and speaking with a friend who also has herpes, I only really needed to be taking 500mg pills because I dont have symptoms so I cut them in half and can make a months prescription last for 2 months.

Be prepared for the doctor to be much less educated then you think he will be. Its amazing the info they still give out to people like unless you have an outbreak don't worry about transmitting it. Thats bull.

I was having a pap smear when I decided to get the STD test, she took swabs in my vagina and did blood tests but I'm not sure if the swabs are like to test for herpes or if the blood tests were there weren't any sores or anything she said that everything looked okay it didn't look like anything was wrong down there. I see her on Tuesday, and she's mailing me the test results as well

I called my doctor this morning to find out about the number or what ever and they told me that they didn't have time and then I'll just have to wait until Tuesday to find out. That just felt like a slap across the face. Call me and give me terrible news, and then tell me oh well we can't tell you anything else until Tuesday

Hi there, I’m so sorry you’re going thru this. I found out I have HSV2 via blood test that I requested at my annual physical last year. The nurse called and said that I had antibodies in my blood associated with Genital Herpes then asked if I had ever had an outbreak. I’ve never had an outbreak so requested to see the doctor again for more information. I went back to the doctor days later and she said that they normally don’t test for herpes because it’s so common. She explained it to me as simply being “exposed” to the virus but they can’t confirm until I have an outbreak that they can swab. I asked about the meds and she was against it since I never had an outbreak. I never got my numbers but they have an app that I downloaded on my phone and signed up for. That’s where I saw my numbers. My HSV1 result was negative and my HSV2 number was 5.6 which means I definitely have it and could have had it for months or years. Anything over 3.5 is a true positive based on what I’ve been reading.