• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Did anyone else have HSV-1 before contracting HSV-2?

I haven't gotten the results yet, but I'm pretty sure I've contracted HSV-2 based on my symptoms. Although my first, and so far only, outbreak was super mild compared to what everyone else is saying about their first outbreaks, and has almost completely cleared up after 3-4 days (However I did catch it early and started Valtrex by the end of day 2). Now I've had HSV-1 since I was about 9 years old, but get cold sores so rarely now, if ever (age 25), but I remember getting some pretty nasty and painful ones as a child.

So my questions are:

1. Could it be that my HSV-2 symptoms are so mild simply because I've been building antibodies for herpes since I was 9?

2. Is it possible I've had HSV-2 for several months/years without knowing, and the reason I never got genital symptoms until now is because my HSV-1 was suppressing it all this time?

3. Also, does that mean the rest of my recurrences should be mild too?

4. I've heard of people getting one primary outbreak and then never again, is it possible already having had HSV-1 for so long can protect against future outbreaks?

I'd love to hear anyone's experience with catching HSV-1 as a child, then catching HSV-2 as an adult. I have no idea where this journey will be taking me, so I'd like to form some sort of image in my mind from others who have the exact same herpes history as me.

80-90% of people don't notice upon contracting HSV2 because they have very mild symptoms or no symptoms and this is especially likely when someone already has HSV1 before contracting HSV2. A considerable percentage of people contract HSV1 first because they are exposed to it from infancy through adulthood while HSV2 exposure does not begin until people become sexually active.

In a U.S. study of more than 8500 pregnant women, 66% tested positive for HSV1, 30% tested positive for HSV2, and 19% tested positive for both HSV1 and HSV2. Overall, 77% tested positive for at least one type of HSV while 19% tested positive for both types.

I had hsv1 for a long time before I was sexually active and my mom got cold sores a lot so I probably got it from her but last year April I got a full on ob of hsv 2 4 months from a possible partner it was the worst of the worst ob, and when my results came back I had antibodies for both hsv 1 I wasent surprised that would come back positive but I was shocked at 2 so I could of caught it 4 months ago or had it for years and didn't know. It I know I didn't give it to my ex because he came back negative for both