• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Feeling down

Hey guys I was diagnosed with HSV2 about 3 months ago and I wanted to share my story.

I got it from this guy that I’ve known for a while but he was dating this other girl so we were always just friends. After they broke up he started flirting with me and we ended up sleeping together. About 3 days later l was in so much pain, and when I looked down there I saw so many blisters. My heart sank because I immediately knew it was herpes. My first outbreak was so painful I seriously was crying from the pain like 3 times a day. The guy who gave it to me completely stopped talking to me, and ignored me every time I reached out to him. Turns out I was just a rebound from his break up. This was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to go through. The physical pain was excruciating, and I’ve never felt so used and disgusted with myself. Not only was I just diagnosed with herpes but I got it from someone who clearly doesn’t care about me at all. It’s the biggest mistake I’ve ever made. I’m only 21 and the thought of having to live with this forever makes me so upset. People my age (especially guys) are so immature and I don’t think a lot of them would be able to look past this, or even bother to educate themselves about it.

I know that I’m still the same person I was before the diagnosis, but I’m just scared that as soon as I disclose to someone they’ll just see me as “the girl with herpes” :(

They will not be like this. There will be someone like this, yes, but overall I’ve found that most people are down for a conversation and are very very understanding and some see it as something simple and easy to deal with. I was diagnosed at 18 and got it from a guy who was an awful all around person. He told me when we broke up “good luck finding someone to stick through herpes.” 6 months later I met a guy MY AGE who was very sweet and I learned as much about herpes as I could and got the courage and told him and cried and all he said was it’s not a big deal. I have a discussion I posted on that. We didn’t end up together but for reasons completely separate from herpes. I’ve told guys I’m good friends with almost completely out of curiosity to their reaction and they’ve been very understanding. I have a normal sex lite and I had to navigate figuring out herpes at a young age and dating. Confidently speak of yourself and don’t tear yourself down when you tell someone. State facts. Be prepared to answer questions they have. Be prepared for someone to leave (but it’s way less often that you think, and if they leave take solace in that person was never going to be right for you anyways) I’ve been with my boyfriend for 2 years and I’ve never given it to him and I told him the first night we hung out. I promise things work out :) and I know you don’t feel it now, but sometimes I see herpes as my blessing in disguise. I hope one day you see it for yourself too.

@dudereally thank you so much for responding! I know that I’m making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. I’ve actually told a few friends about it and they’ve all been really supportive and understanding. I know that I’m a great person and the right guy will be able to look past this, I just get so nervous thinking about having to disclose. You give some great advice though and you’ve really made me feel a lot better