• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Oral Sex/Recent Diagnosis

So... I was diagnosed with GHSV-1 back in late November of last year. It’s been a hell of a whirlwind of health issues for me since then.. and I’m not entirely sure how long I’ve had the virus since I was diagnosed from a swab during initial outbreak. Prior to my knowledge of this, my boyfriend and I have had unprotected sex on several occasions, but we’ve been primarily using condoms now and I’ve also been on suppressive therapy with Valacyclovir (I didn’t start suppressive therapy right away... but have been doing it the past 2-3 weeks or so to see if it helped my symptoms at all, and for extra protection for my boyfriend). Since then I’ve also caught strep throat, which I was on antibiotics for and finished, and that has cleared up. In addition to all of this I still have swollen lymph nodes in my groin, as well as my neck (which I’m assuming is from the strep, but who knows?) and it seems like they’re just not getting any smaller. I’ve also been experiencing strange nerve sensations all throughout my body, but primarily in my legs, and occasional flu-like aches and fatigue that come for a day or two then dissipate. I don’t know if this is all from my body just trying to adjust with the new virus present in addition to being sick, or what.

Anyway, I haven’t had any other noticeable outbreaks since then.. but I’m worried because I’m not sure if I can identify when I’m actually experiencing prodrome or not since I’ve been having consistent symptoms that should be indicative of that. We don’t know my boyfriend’s sexual health status in regard to herpes yet, because we are still waiting a few more weeks for him to get tested so that we are sure he is past the window of typical time it takes to build up antibodies.

We were thinking of purchasing dental dams so he could perform oral on me, but I was wondering what the risk is of performing unprotected oral sex on him without knowing his herpes status? If he has either strain, am I pretty much protected at this point from contracting it orally since I have HSV-1 genitally? And would he still pose a risk of somehow contracting it orally even if we use a dental dam? I have no experience with them myself so I’m not entirely sure how effective they are at providing a barrier. Any insight on this would be much appreciated!!

Hello @oms2001. I was about to post a discussion with the same question.

I was diagnosed last week with G-HSV1 as well. I'm in a relationship but my partner is currently waiting on his results. In the event he is negative for HSV I was also curious about the future of our sex-life. Condoms are planned for but unsure the risk factor for performing oral sex on each other.

I have read in other forums of couples where only one of them is +, the other is -, yet oral sex is still given without protection? I think this was the case for a woman who was HSV2+ (since this type is more prevalent genitally and cannot be transmitted to become oral HSV...?). But for the case of HSV1 I'm completely unsure.

With a new diagnosis of Genital HSV I am making appropriate life style adjustments and, like you, am trying to get as much information on the risks of transmission and my options going forward with my partner/ any future partner.

Hope we both get insight into this particular topic revolving around oral sex practices with a G-HSV1 Dx, I have found searching for answers online very difficult regarding this specifically.