• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Seeking knowledge

Hello everyone, 24 y/o male here. I contracted the HSV-2 virus about 2 months ago. The outbreak lasted about 2 weeks; I haven't and a reoccurring one yet. I went through the whole "my life is over stage" for about the first month and a half. I can safely say the thoughts of depression/anxiety/agony and loneliness are no longer part of my daily routine.

Okay. I met someone at school about three weeks ago and we hit it off. I disclosed about five days ago (my first disclosure ever); it was a success. She said it wasn't that big of a deal. We have yet to have sex yet but are planning on it this week.

So my question is, what is the absolute safest way to go about having sex? I couldn't live with myself if I transmitted this to her.

Any knowledge is appreciated. Thanks!

Congrats on the successful disclosure! Condoms and daily antivirals will reduce the chances of transmission (if you’re not taking antivirals, you need to be on them for about 5-7 days before having sex for them to be effective). Also, start paying really close attention to your body and abstain from intercourse if you feel any prodrome symptoms or think you may be developing an outbreak. This is especially important since outbreaks and asymptomatic shedding tends to happen more frequently when the virus is new and your body is still adjusting to it. There is no 100% foolproof way to prevent transmission. There will always be a risk, but that’s also true of practically any worthwhile activity. Have fun! ;-)

Hi, @HalfFull!

You've already taken steps to make it safer simply by disclosing and opening that line of communication. Daily antivirals, condoms and abstaining during outbreaks also reduce risk.

One thing to keep in mind is that viral shedding rates are significantly higher during the first few months after contracting HSV. You will be most contagious during those first few months.