• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Transmission without outbreaks?

I contracted HSV-2 a year ago. I have been on Valtrex since then and after my first (terrible) outbreak, I have not had anything beyond a couple very minor outbreaks (like I could barely even tell). I am still confused about the risks of transmitting it to someone else while I have no symptoms. I know the risk is very low while on Valtrex and using condoms. But is there still some risk? Some of my partners or potential partners have still thought that 1% chance is too high. In particular, I have one partner who has recently (after we have slept together many times, for several months) decided he is not that OK with having intercourse anymore. Even though I have not had any outbreaks and we always use protection. And he usually leaves his underwear on, so there is little to no actual skin contact. He is still afraid that he could catch it from my fluids. Is that even a possibility? Any advice or knowledge would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Herpes is not in body fluids, if he wants to protect himself and sleep with underwear on that's on him but he's gonna run into more women that has hsv 2 that won't know they have or won't even tell him him and he's only gonna use a condom probably but, it's just casual sex then I would just role w the punches of this is someone I want to be in a relationship w just forget it but, herpes doesn't come from semen and vaginal juices , it's really where the OB showed in the skin and nerves

According to https://www.umm.edu/health/medical/reports/articles/herpes-simplex, "To infect people, the herpes simplex viruses (both HSV-1 and HSV-2) must get into the body through tiny injuries in the skin or through a mucous membrane, such as inside the mouth or on the genital area. Both viruses can be carried in bodily fluids (such as saliva, semen, or fluid in the female genital tract) or in fluid from herpes sores. The risk for infection is highest with direct contact of blisters or sores during an outbreak."

Some people may have hsv carried out from their vaginal secretions or semen but Hsv is not in it like gonorhea clamidya or HIV, like if you have unprotected sex with someone that's having ob you might get the lesions on the inside of your vagina and she's from their from time to time, my doctor said where the lesion shows up that's where the virus entered at

As far as the body fluids go, I am not quite sure. I always thought it was skin to skin?! So this is interesting to me. I'm also HSV2, and take daily antiviral therapy.

I've only disclosed to one potential partner. I think it helped for me to give equivalent risks to put it into perspective. Condoms still have a 12% chance of resulting in pregnancy. YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF GETTING ME PREGNANT! Potential partner would have an equal chance to be killed in a car accident(a little morbid but a fact). Transmission from female to male are lower just due to our physical bodies. Most of all, you know your status. You are not being careless. You are informing your partners. You are less of a risk than everyone who just assumes they are a-okay because they haven't ever had a symptom...