Herpes Opportunity logo
Informational Blog
Support Forum
Start Here!
H Opp Weekend
Herpes Videos
Lifestyle Guides

18 yr old daughter was just diagnosed with HSV2

My 18yr daughter was diagnosed with HSV2 today, Doctor said her level is 1.8. HSV1 is negative. About 3 1/2 wks ago she had a pretty intense oral surgery for removal of wisdom teeth, had to be treated for dry sockets twice. She was on several medications, including antibiotics, pain medicine and ibuprofen. During this time she started to get oral ulcers, Dentist said it was common after a oral surgery. A few days later she was having problems with urinating, dryness and itching. She had a urine sample done and had a bladder infection. Then came vaginal ulcers. Back to the doctors again and they say it may be acute reactive aphthous ulcers which is common after a surgery and long doses of medication. Now after a blood test they say it's HSV2. We are both devasted. She says she has had oral sexual recently but is still a virgin and is adement about it. Both the doctor and myself believe her. Could it be possible this test came back a false positive even with having symptoms of herpes. It's all so confusing. I don't know if this is all from her surgery or she really has HSV2. I am 100% behind my daughter, I am not mad or angry. My heart is broken for her, she thinks no one will ever want her now and that she's damaged. Please some one help me with advice

Comments

• First of all that is a low enough value that it very could easily be a false positive. Second HSV2 is not likely to transmit through oral sex. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in about that. She should get a western blot HSV test done, it is rather reliable. Did they culture (or even better run PCR) on a swab from her genital lesions?

Lastly, please don't let the stigma of HSV break your heart and do anything you can to let your daughter know many people will love her with or without HSV. It really isn't a big deal. It's super common and rather innocuous.
  • He didn't swab the lesions because the outbreak happened fast and they are healing quickly. She's still in pain and it's hard for her to walk. Waiting on another test, if that's positive than we will move forward. I just hate seeing her in pain and so upset
  • Your daughter can be HSV2 positive and also be a virgin. If a man has rubbed his penis in her genital area it easily could have spread that way. I dont know very much about false positives on blood work, but I would say that would be more of a possibility if she didnt have vaginal ulcers. If she had vaginal ulcers, she more than likely has HSV2 in my opinion. The only way to know for sure would be to swab the sores or go back more blood work again. If the number has increased she is positive
  • edited January 13
    @scaredmom18

This is why I think you should get a second opinion.

https://www.statnews.com/2017/01/26/herpes-testing-false-positives/

"A 2005 study published in the journal BioMed Central Infectious Disease found that index values above 3.5 yielded over 90 percent accuracy — but scores between 1.1 and 3.5 had around a 50 percent chance of being wrong.

What’s more, scores falling just above the 1.1 cutoff had an almost 90 percent chance of being wrong."

Considering your daughter's lab results of 1.8 she has, at best, a 50/50 chance of having HSV. You might as well flip a coin.
  • edited January 14
    Getting genital HSV2 from oral sex is so unlikely I personally would rule it out. As @annalove said, skin-to-skin genital contact (without intercourse) is a common way that HSV2 is transmitted. That’s why condoms will never offer full protection from transmission, because they only cover some skin. You could order another IgG test in a couple of months to see if there’s any change, or you could seek out the western blot test, which is far more sensitive (and acccurate). It’s only done at the University of Washington, so you either need to work with them to have blood drawn and sent there, or you can work with the Westover Heights Clinic (online) to have them order it for her.
  • You can have HSV2 on the mouth and pass it orally. Works just the same as HSV1
  • edited January 14
    That is true. Since oral HSV2 is not common, and it much prefers the genitals to the mouth, it’s just less likely to have been the means by which this young girl acquired genital HSV2.
  • @Neb2006 @HikingGirl Also, on average, oral HSV1 sheds 25% of the time while oral HSV2 sheds 1% of the time, so likelihood of exposure is 25x greater on average with oral HSV1 than oral HSV2.
  • Your brain is like a giant repository of statistics, @optimist. I don’t know how you do it! :)
  • @HikingGirl Haha. It's an area of interest for me. Terri Warren started quoting new shedding stats a while back that differed from how they were presented in the Handbook and I wanted to understand why. I think it was in some cases related to newer research and in other cases just about how the numbers were presented (like an average versus a range). The current average shedding rates she quotes are as follows:

- HSV1 oral, 25%
    - HSV1 genital, 5 %
    - HSV2 oral, 1%
    - HSV2 genital, 14% (10% asymptomatic, 20% symptomatic)

• Wow. Those numbers are really interesting. When you look at these, it’s no wonder genital HSV1 is being diagnosed so frequently. Thanks for sharing!
  • edited January 15
    Just want to say I caught it at 19 now 44 and my dating and sex life has been great/normal and hers will be too! :) She is not damaged, while it will take her time to see this, tell here we are here and living a great life just like a non H person.