• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Positive swab for GHSV-2, but 2 1/2 years later still getting negative blood results

Hey Everyone,

New here. So I was diagnosed with GHSV2 back in May of 2015 via a swab test (also had a blood test at that time and it came back negative which indicates it to be my first outbreak, right?), well anyway with the swab I know for certain that I have the virus. However, since then I have repeatedly taken blood test because I wasn't experiencing ANY outbreaks and I wanted to see if I was having outbreaks without symptoms. I assumed if I was, then my blood results would show up positive, because that's how it works right? If you are shedding the virus symptomatically or not, your body will still produce antibodies, right?? Well, I recently got my 4th set of blood results back and once again I'm negative.

Another part of the story is that I met a guy in Dec 2015 and before we started hooking up I disclosed to him and he was fine with it. Since I was never having outbreaks we even started having sex without protection (I am a religious birth control user), and that was totally his choice. Well things ended up not working out and in August of 2017 I broke up with him. Our last sexual encounter was in July 2017. I get a txt from him Dec 14th 2017 saying he was having his first outbreak!! I was sooo devastated for him! I felt so bad. I didn't even know what to say. I just couldn't believe it.

Has anyone else experienced this something like this?

It's my understanding the IgG picks up 95% of HSV2 infections at/after 12 weeks from infection and misses 5%. Also my understanding the same people tend to get false negatives upon repeat testing. And as you said, a positive swab is considered definitive. But if you're concerned about the possibility of a lab mix-up or miscommunication of swab results, perhaps you could try a Western Blot which is more sensitive.