• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

How long after b/o clears to have sex?

I’ve been taking valtrex 500mg daily. Just am having another outbreak and started doubling up on the dose. I was doing a B complex vitamin for a while but think I’m gonna switch to a multivitamin. Yeah it’s tough when you want to live life and things are stressful. I recently was really stressed and should have anticipated it. It seems to come about my period as well, whichehich is hard to avoid haha. Do you find taking the lysine works?

I haven’t noticed a difference with the lysine- but that could be because my stress just takes over and a supplement isn’t strong enough. I did notice that once I stopped shaving I got less outbreaks. I had the hair lasered off and it has definitely helped. TMI but I recommend it! I also read recently to put “new skin” liquid bandage on your break out and it clears much faster. I haven’t tried it yet but I have read good reviews. Not sure how long you have had it/ I have had it about 10 years and it definitely gets much better over time. It doesn’t bother me at all anymore, it’s just that I don’t want my bf to get it, and I’m dreading when I have to tell him we can’t have sex because of an outbreak. He’s very sweet about it, but it still sucks :/

Interesting I’ll have to keep the laser hair removal in mind. I mostly do a super close trim just to not cause additional irritation, like shaving can. . Oh new skin, haven’t heard that one. Might burn. I’ve had it since April. It’s nice to hear it gets better with time. I dread saying that too but I don’t want any partner to get it. Wish it didn’t last so long but hey guess there are other ways to enjoy one another. Thank you for sharing!

@PrettyLady Have you noticed a lot of sensitivity after outbreaks while on suppressive therapy? Any visible signs have healed for my outbreak but i'm still experiencing occasional sensitivity, i.e. tingling which I associate with H. I'm on my last day of doubling my meds and dropping back to my daily dose tomorrow. I'm wondering is it the double dose of meds or the virus...

My experience has been that I need to take the valtrex a couple days longer than the recommended dosage, otherwise it comes back shortly after. But once it’s gone I have no tingling sensations or any other symptoms. What I’ve read is if the outbreak is on the thigh or buttock region, it takes longer for the outbreak to clear than if it was in a region that has thin skin.

Happy new year!

Yeah I've been taking the double dose for almost 7 days now, per doctor recommendation. Just want to be really safe with a potential new partner. i've noticed in the past few outbreaks, these extra tingling last a few extra days after visible signs heal. more waiting in store then! haha.

On a more intimate level, how do you handle having an outbreak with a partner in your experience? I.e. avoiding contact with the outbreak region but remain intimate? I know it would probably be different for everyone.

& Happy New Year!

Ugh yeah it’s always a waiting game :/ I never have sex when there is an active outbreak.. and very recently I discovered to wait 7 days until after the outbreak has cleared. In the meantime, we do other things... oral sex for him and a vibrator for me. I prefer to keep my parties on also. Then once I’m in the clear, we have great sex!!

I always tell my partners about it upfront.. usually date 3 or 4. Sometimes they stick around, sometimes they don’t! I’m currently in a relationship - been about 5 months and he’s very understanding. When I’m feeling the first sign of an outbreak I tell him “let’s do other things this week” and he gets it. It’s important for me to protect others because I didn’t have the luxury of being informed my ex had it! He said he didn’t know which is very possible.. most people apparently have no symptoms but they “shed” the virus. You probably already know that!

Yeah this is great information thank you. I disclosed with this new guy and he seems understanding but we haven’t had sex yet and he’s worried about giving oral and I told him no pressure I want him to be comfortable. Right I want to protect him so I feel he will understand. Guess it’s all about exploring other ways of pleasure and such. So you let him use the vibrator over the panties on you? That’s great. Sounds like you’re really balancing it! Thank you

I highly recommend using s vibrator while giving oral- everyone is happy ;)

From what I have read, contracting Genital Herpes to the mouth is rare, but if it happens there would likely be one outbreak and he’d probably never see it again, or rarely. But still, it is all about what makes your partner comfortable. My bf has cold sores on his lips, hasn’t had any outbreaks since I’ve been with him, but I am taking a risk too, and I accept it! Oral herpes rarely contracts to the genitals also, or so I’ve read. I’ll paste a couple helpful links for you..

Thanks! I’ve read that too about gentian to oral contact and about a less than 1% risk. I always try to think if roles were reversed what I would feel comfortable with. Oh yes, keeping everyone happy is key. This is really helpful thank you. I’m just glad he hasn’t run for the hills from it. So I’m hoping it works out in some form and if it doesn’t work out that it’s not because of the H.

In a way, it’s a good thing that you have symptoms because it gives you the knowledge to protect your partners! Over time I’m sure the symptoms will dissipate. I’ve decided to track the 7 days starting the day after all symptoms end. I think 5-7 days is reasonable but I would talk to your man about this and ask if that sounds like a good plan. I would also encourage him to learn as much as he can about it so he can make informed decisions.

Oh he's been reading up about it a lot, asking questions, and he's been very understanding and open to doing other things, like you suggested. I really do appreciate his response to it. Communication sounds key. We've discussed how i can feel outbreaks coming on and that i want to wait till it heals afterwards to give a nice buffer of protection. I just don't know why the symptoms (tingling/rug burn feel) are still hanging around after everything visible has healed.

Have you noticed the outbreaks become less over the years?

I guess everyone’s experience is different.. the lingering tingly feeling may be because it hasn’t fully healed yet/ some people have symptoms for up to two weeks. But they should shorten over time. Yes I have noticed the amount of outbreaks and severity has definitely gotten better over time. My key has been trying to cut back on stress, getting adequate sleep, exercise, nutrition, and limiting alcohol (anything that affects the immune system- just like if you were treating/avoiding a cold).

Yeah I’m hoping it becomes less. It hasn’t been a year yet since I was diagnosed so I’m hoping time will get better with it. It’s tough to balance all of that and still do thing you enjoy. Sometimes it seems the outbreaks come for no reason what so ever. Thank you!!

@Katidid I started taking antivirals for about 3 months now and have had an outbreak. Definitely going to continue them. my current outbreak has healed from any visible symptoms but there is still a sensitivity so i'm thinking to refrain from contact until that's gone.