• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Please helpMe I can’t find these answers anywhere

On this past Tuesday I went to the dr and she said I had lesions on my anis and it could be anything but she did an std test. Wed night second dr looks and confirms it’s herpes but blood test is negative. Current bf got tested two months into dating me and his test was negative. My questions are

1. my partner is negative but I am not.(waiting on more testing) If it hurts to go to the bathroom because I have herpes in my rectum, how did they get there? If he’s the only one I had anal sex with in 10 years.

2. If I was the carrier and that’s why he is negative then shouldn’t it have shown in my blood test since I’ve had it for at least 6 months if not longer?

3. If I had my first outbreak and blood test of negative does that mean I’m not a Carrier and I’ve rescently been exposed to it?

Most STD panels do not include HSV testing, and some doctors are using the older, totally unreliable IgM blood test. Do you know for 100% certain he was tested for HSV with an IgG blood test?

1. The virus lives in your nerves at the base of the spine. When it decides to act up, it can travel along any number of nerve pathways to exit the body anywhere in the boxer shorts area. Where you have outbreaks has nothing to do with what type of sex you’ve had.

2. Yes. That’s why I’m curious if you know for a fact that he tested negative during his last testing and did not have other partners within a few months prior. It’d also be good for you to either have a swab test done now if you still have lesions, or wait 12-16 weeks and do another IgG blood test. You may well have HSV, but don’t depend on a visual diagnosis alone.

3. If you truly have herpes, the blood test is negative because it’s a new infection and you haven’t produced enough antibodies yet to be detected on a blood test. There is no such thing as being exposed but not having the virus. You either have it or you don’t.

Yes he was specifically checked for hsv 1 and 2 and it was negative.

I’m going Monday to get swabbed to confirm but I have these questions in the meantime. That’s is why I’m concerned. If he’s negative... and I have it yet it didn’t come up in my blood work.. meaning I haven’t produced antibodies yet then doesn’t that mean I got the virus fairly recently? If I’ve had it for a year or two or 10 even without outbreaks wouldn’t I have those antibodies in my blood by now?? Ps we have been together for 6 months and he got tested two months into our relationship but he did have other partners prior to us dating.

Yes, if a swab test confirmed you had HSV, your partner was negative, and the blood test was negative, it would mean a new infection. By the time you get to16 weeks post infection, 97% will test positive on a blood test.

I can think of a couple of explanations off the top of my head:

1. You have genital HSV1–the blood tests miss a significant number of HSV1 infections. It’s possible the test missed HSV1 with your boyfriend and you acquired genital HSV1 from oral sex.

2. You don’t have herpes. (Retest in a couple months with an IgG or you could get the gold standard of HSV testing, the western blot.)

3. Your boyfriend acquired HSV from someone else right before you met and it was a new enough infection not to show up on the blood test.

You’re definitely on the right track to get a swab test on Monday. Provided there’s enough of a sample to test (meaning the lesions haven’t healed), the PCR swab tests are very accurate.