• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Re-infecting myself?

Hello,

Hoping to get some clarification by someone knowledgeable. I keep reading contradicting facts about HSV2. When I was first diagnosed, my doctor had agreed with me that I should cover the outbreak with a bandage. The bandage irritates my skin though so I started researching if it actually helps prevent spreading to a new spot. I have recently read that you can’t reinfect yourself even if there is an active blister. Once you’re infected, you can’t re-infect yourself. I am always very careful with the way I sit and move around so the outbreak does not contact another spot in the general region. It is very stressful to have to worry about this! But now it seems as though I have been worrying for no reason, but it’s didficult to believe. Over the ten years I’ve had an outbreak only in one spot but I always wonder if my shaving bumps, etc are actually an outbreak :( I read that you can get an outbreak anywhere in the “boxer shorts” region at anytime, simply because you have the infection, not because you are spreading it.

I guess what I’m asking is should I be afraid of spreading the virus to a different location, or is it pointless to cover the outbreak? Can an outbreak show up in a new spot, simply because I have the virus?

Also I recently read about covering outbreaks with a liquid band aid called “nu skin”. I have read that it burns but is extremely effective at healing because of the ointment. I’m afraid that this could leave a mark/scab/scar. Anyone have experience with this?

Thank you as always for your input!

Terri Warren, an expert on HSV, says that reinfecting yourself on other parts of the body almost always happens within a few months of acquiring the virus. After that, you’ve built up antibodies to help protect against that. It’s always a good idea to wash your hands after touching an outbreak no matter how long you’ve had HSV, but I wouldn’t lose sleep over reinfecting yourself otherwise.

It is true you can have an outbreak anywhere, but even so, the virus tends to use preferred pathways and for most people, outbreaks will continue to pop up in the same place. Just watch the saving bumps and notice where they come and go. It’s realky unlikely you’re going to see outbreaks in different places on a regular basis.

I don’t have severe outbreaks, but I would think that covering them would mostly be a matter of comfort to you unless they’re oozing a lot. Leaving them uncovered might also help them to dry out faster.