• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Shocked and really looking for some answers..

Yesterday I was diagnosed with HSV-2 via a swab culture test after having what looked like a few bug bites come up over night on my genital area above my penis and on top of my scrotum. A few days later I had more smaller spots appear around the area. I left work to get tested found out I was positive. I have been with the same person for four months and was just tested two weeks ago on iGG and had a zero count for antibodies and was negative. My girlfriend was tested about seven months ago and was negative and only had one person she was with between the test and being with me. She’s never had any symptoms and I understand a lot of people are asymptomatic but how could I have been with her only the last four months, negative negative with a zero on antibodies (not even a low number, none) and two weeks later I have an outbreak and I’m positive? We have both been faithful, she goes to get tested tomorrow. Could she had been positive without symptoms and I was lucky the first three months and didn’t contract it until just recently? If she was positive this whole time I would of thought it would of shown up way sooner. 2-20 days I read for symptoms and also read that it shows up in blood by three months. I had one partner over four years ago who was positive, could I have had it this whole time with two failed iGG test and it’s just now showing it’s head years later? I’m really confused..

yes, you can be positive and test negative. it happened to me. I was tested for multiple STDs and other diseases when I had recurring flu-like symptoms. Every test I was given was negative and the DR kept giving me antibiotics.

I did not test positive for HSV2 until I was tested (blood test) during my first outbreak, that I thought was a yeast infection.

However it is also possible to have the virus for years before the symptoms surface. The virus is a master at hiding itself from your WBCs, because the virus lives in 2 places in your body -- nerves at the base of your spine OR nerves that are around your ear. And it can lie dormant for a very long time.

So I could of had it for years now and never developed the antibodies because I never had a breakout. But now a iGG test would show the antibodies? I guess it lay dormant this whole time and is a really tricky thing to put a timetable on when I caught it...

It can be extremely stressful to dwell on how and why, despite the fact that it is among the first things anyone would think about after diagnosis.

Try to focus on the future. Although you will probably go through a lot of the same emotions many of us had, remember that it doesn't change who you are or what you can accomplish.

I would recommend from my own experience that you make plans to do something you enjoy doing, and that makes you feel like yourself. Personally, I made plans to go to a concert I had been convincing myself not to, even though I could easily afford it and knew I'd have fun. I knew that having something to be excited about that I would definitely do in the near future was going to make things easier, and it has.

Also, keep hammering away at your goals. Nothing reassures a person like doing what they're good at to gain some long-term benefit.

I can assure you that you will get past the anger/confusion soon. It takes some work, but it will happen.