• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

STDs in general

It's crazy to me cause I never had a std before I always used condoms and be careful ,I know tons of friends that sleep around w no condoms at all and get nothing !! I only know 2 personal friends that's both got clauymidia and the other had claumydia and gonnorhea back then I was just like eww that's what happen when u don't use a condom then i do the right thing and catch something incurable and nasty as well , am I the only one that feel this way

About 80% of adults have HSV of one type or another and are therefore capable of transmitting HSV to an uninfected partner's genitals through oral sex and/or genital-genital contact. Most don't know they are infected due to a combination of current testing practices, mild or absent symptoms, or lack of understanding of how herpes presents and is transmitted. Likewise, most sexually active people contract one or more strains of HPV but don't know they're infected. Because both of these viruses are transmitted through skin-to-skin contact, condoms only reduce risk. Parts that are not covered by the condom are still vulnerable to transmitting or contracting the virus.

Where the sore is located is a factor during outbreaks, but asymptomatic shedding occurs from much larger areas. So someone with a lesion on their thigh can shed virus from their penis, labia, anus, etc., and someone with a lesion in their nose can shed virus from their mouths. So while direct contact with lesions carries greater risk, other areas (mouth, genital tract, base of penis, etc., depending on whether the infection is oral or genital) can still be intermittently contagious.

@lifegoesonn I went in for my annual, as I do every year, but this time she called back telling me the news. I’ve neverhad an outbreak or any signs/symptoms. However, once I was told the news, I’ve been depressed and dwell on the fact that I have HSV1. About a week or so later I had an outbreak and it still hasn’t gone away. It has been since early September that this began. I haven’t gottwn to the point others are at. I am angry at whom ever gave it to me, mind you I’ve been sex free for almost a year now! I’m embarrassed and have no one to talk to about it. All I have is this group, which does help, but I just want to cry and have someone hold me and tell me that it will be okay. That I’m not dirty and disgusting. Instead I just have it swimming in my head. Hoping to get past this stage soon. :-(

Wow so you have hsv 1 genitally ? If it makes you feel better that's the strain everyone has. My doctor said it, everybody have 1 we pick it up as kids my mom got cold sores when I was younger she probably gave me hsv 1 I just found out about 3 years ago cold sores is herpes I bought cold sores is something everybody get like a natural skin condition or something, I was depressed cus I had already knew hsv 2 was the std and find out out about that out of the blue with a full blown outbreak is so frustrating

So I’m told that is what I have. I should clarify that I’ve never actually had an outbreak from it. I have the symptoms, prodome is what I keep seeing everyone call it. I itch like fn crazy!! Lately it’s been feeling like more of a burning sensation or something similar. But I still don’t have blisters or boils or anything like that. I’m sure it’s all in my head because of all the reading I’ve done on HSV and I know that’s what is “suppose to happen”.

I did know that cold sores were Herpes. I’ve never had one of those either, thankfully! However my ex husband always has them. I wouldn’t kiss him or anything when he’d have them. Now I’ve learned of shedding and that has me freaked out, because is that possibly how I got this. And he would never know. Idk... too much going through my mind and I can’t get it to stop!

So I’m told that is what I have. I should clarify that I’ve never actually had an outbreak from it. I have the symptoms, prodome is what I keep seeing everyone call it. I itch like fn crazy!! Lately it’s been feeling like more of a burning sensation or something similar. But I still don’t have blisters or boils or anything like that. I’m sure it’s all in my head because of all the reading I’ve done on HSV and I know that’s what is “suppose to happen”.

I did know that cold sores were Herpes. I’ve never had one of those either, thankfully! However my ex husband always has them. I wouldn’t kiss him or anything when he’d have them. Now I’ve learned of shedding and that has me freaked out, because is that possibly how I got this. And he would never know. Idk... too much going through my mind and I can’t get it to stop!

I am on the same boat. I did not anticipate getting diagnosed with HSV-1 and felt my life was over. It wasn't after I tortured myself with Google and searches that began feeling tingling but no sores, nothing, probably anxiety, because at the level of stress I reached if I have not had an outbreak it's short of a miracle, then again the science is so inexact about this and worse the level of misinformation out there.

I really appreciate Adrial and the community here in general for providing much needed support. My index was relatively high from my IgG which would suggest I had this for some time, regardless that was very little consolation, at least no outbreaks yet. Chances could be I had an small outbreak whenever I was exposed to it, which could range from many years ago, and it has remained dormant.

@DepressedToNoEnd did the symptoms stop once you stopped stressing it? I really am trying so hard to get to that point, but am having a terrible time with it. I need to figure out how to get it off my kind. So that it isn’t the only thing I think about. Every time I use the bathroom. Every time I get dressed. Every shower I take. Even with every step I take I feel like people know. I need to stop the stress and depression from it

@DepressedToNoEnd did the symptoms stop once you stopped stressing it? I really am trying so hard to get to that point, but am having a terrible time with it. I need to figure out how to get it off my kind. So that it isn’t the only thing I think about. Every time I use the bathroom. Every time I get dressed. Every shower I take. Even with every step I take I feel like people know. I need to stop the stress and depression from it

I totally feel you. Staying busy definitely helps. Exercise and quite frankly stopping searching on the internet helps because as I said the level of misinformation is massive with the exception of places like this site and Westover Heights/Terri Warren.

Today I felt tingling that comes and goes in a very random way but if I have to guess it happens when you get stressed. That is one of the very few things about this, that you learn about your body a whole lot more out of primal instincts of survival. I have conclude thus far -although it’s still a rather short sample I’d say- that it is anxiety. My biggest fear is to pass HSV-1 to my family that is something that once it gets to my head it’s hard to let go. This time of the year it has hit me especially hard, watching them so happy waiting for the holidays only for me to ruin everything, that I’m having a very hard time not to forgive myself, even if this was an older infection vs a new one.