• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Still have prodrome symptoms a month after first OB, is this normal?

It's been a bit over a month since I contracted GH (HSV-1) and had my first OB. It is still a shock and I'm having a hard time NOT focusing on how different my life will be from now on. What's making it worse is that I still have that tingling/itchy, almost air bubble/crawling feeling in the area where the sores were every day even after I completely healed from the initial OB. I know that these feelings would most likely signal an OB in the future but I'm on daily valtrex and am wondering has anyone else experienced this even weeks after the initial OB? If so did it stop after a while? Is it just how our bodies heal or get used to the virus? It's super disheartening as I keep trying to move on with my life but its such a constant physical reminder...Happy for any info!

Hi, @daisyblue. I never experienced a primary outbreak, so I can’t speak from personal experience, but I have seen others here describe the initial outbreak as lasting several weeks, or sometimes having multiple outbreaks back to back. No doubt it sucks, but I don’t think it’s unheard of to be having some symptoms one month in.

Now if months go by and you’re still feeling a lot of tingling, you might consider switching antivirals. My outbreaks are primarily just itching, but when I tried Valtrex last year, it was one zinger after another. I stopped and took a break from antivirals altogether, then I tried acyclovir and the zingers (and the itching) stopped. Just something to keep in the back of your mind. I hope things calm down for you very soon!

@HikingGirl, Thank you so much for your reply! I'll for sure keep track of my symptoms to see if anything gets better (lately I've had good days and bad days with the symptoms and I'm hoping to see if anything correlates i.e.: food choices, vitamins etc.) and if it doesn't I'll see about maybe switching medication. It's incredible how my body feels so foreign to me now. I was so glad to find this forum to know there are others out there that are going through the same thing!