• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Silly question about herpes antibodies

MJLM

Hi! Recently I got a blood test, which I got done 8 weeks after exposure, and it came out negative. Thanks to the forum I now know that the most accurate results are within 12-16 weeks after exposure, so I'll get another one done then. My question is about how antibodies work, say, I had an outbreak 1 week after exposure, my body fought it off, since then I haven't had another OB (I've read of people who had another one right after the first one). If I have herpes my body is doing a good job at keeping it at bay so far, shouldn't that mean I have enough antibodies already that could have been detectable by now?

I read in this infographic http://www.ashasexualhealth.org/pdfs/Herpes_Testing_Infographic.pdf that after 3 weeks half of people has enough detectable antibodies, by 6 weeks 70% of people do, and by 6 months everyone does. I sure hope I'm among that 70%. So I just want to know if it makes sense that if my body is keeping the virus at bay it means I have enough antibodies that could be detectable, or if that idea doesn't make sense.

I will still get a new test done, but the waiting is excruciating, and my doctor isn't of much help because she says 2 months was enough time to get a blood test done, she thinks I shouldn't trust the internet but I'm only reading reliable sources.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

• 2 weeks later...

It is unlikely, but there is a small percentage of people who never test positive.

Also, just because the sores are gone, doesn't mean you have built up enough antibodies to test positive. The virus migrates along nerves into deep bundles and then back out to the surface of the skin at different rates for different people.

The most accurate test is a swab of the sores themselves. Otherwise, 12 weeks seems to be the average.