• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes itch?!

I was diagnosed with genital HSV-1 almost a year ago. When I realized I was getting these outbreaks that were so severe and so frequent, I asked my doc to be on suppressive therapy. While this shortened how long the outbreaks last, I was still getting them constantly. I changed my diet, my lifestyle, literally everything. Whenever I get an outbreak, it 'clears up' (no redness, lesions barely visible as if they practically healed, just a mild itch) within 2-3 days. On the 2nd/3rd day, I get the WORST itching. I have tried EVERYTHING to make the itch go away. It seems like whenever I get the itch, the outbreak comes back full force and it is like a brand new one all over again, yet 10 times worse. MY doc says the best solution is to just leave it alone, but the itch is so severe that it is excruciating, it is impossible to just ignore it! Has anyone dealt with this severe itch? I am dying for more recommendations on how to control this!

I had very frequent prodrome symptoms with Valtrex. Long story, but I acquired both strains of HSV 20+ years ago but wasn't diagnosed until last year. My symptoms were so mild I mistook them for yeast infections. But once I realized what an outbreak looked like for me, as mild as they were, I continued to get them on Valtrex.

I took a break from antivirals for a few months. After about two months on acyclovir, I realized I didn't have the itching that seemed so chronic for me for years and years. It's been nine months now and not only have I not had an outbreak, my itching is 95% gone and I feel fabulous. I have not experienced any side effects. Acyclovir is also cheaper, so that's a bonus.

@hikinggirl, after your recommendation and some more research, I switched to acyclovir! Took the first dose this morning and already my symptoms have drastically reduced. This has never happened to me while taking Valtrex. Hopefully I will continue to have success with this. Thank you so much!!!