• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

First time disclosing, went kinda iffy. Could use help

I was 16 when first diagnosed, I'm now 20 and haven't been in a relationship since. I haven't told anyone except for my family and very close friends up until a few weeks ago when I told a girl I had just started seeing, her reaction was pretty much what I expected.She did ask questions like if I was on medication and what is the likelihood of transmitting it, and I obviously answered honestly, but she seems kind of hesitant on still wanting to see me, again I expected this reaction given the stigma of herpes and the age group I'm in. This is the first girl I have thought of being with in 4 years, I had finally felt like I got my confidence back since being diagnosed, but now I feel like I'm sinking back into the rut I was in. If there's anyone who could give me some advice on their personal experiences with entering a new relationship that would be great.

Hi. I just recently disclosed to someone for the first time and I think it went as well as it could have. I think the most frustrating thing is that you don't really know what the other person may be thinking regardless of what they say. This week I have went through various lows from the thought of rejection and it's hard not knowing where someone's head is at. I think the best thing to do is to ask this girl if she could let you know where her head is at so that you can begin to process what she says. I think it's great that you have been so open and honest with someone. If you take anything away from this experience let it be that you have a good heart and have done a decent thing by telling this girl. Hopefully she can appreciate that. All the best.

Emmah2605, I think you're completely right. She kind of did say how she was feeling about the whole situation, which is a reason why I posted here. She made it seem like it was a burden to be with me. I want to explain to her that I'm not expecting anything intimate from her right away, I actually do want to get to know her and let her decide if it's worth it. But I do think I should have another talk with her and hopefully all goes well.

It certainly isn't a burden to be with you even if it feels that way, I am sure you are a great person! I know what you mean about intimacy. Generally it's hard because you feel like by disclosing you could be putting pressure on what may be a causal situation to start with. If she comes around it would be great for her to see all of the qualities that make you a fantastic person. I hope it works out for you.