H Opp going?

Be a sustaining member.
We'll love you forever.

$5/month
$10/month
$20/month

Or for a one-time payment, click here.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

positive guide to herpes disclosure

Newly Diagnosed - What are your tips, tricks, etc..

Good Morning All,

39F, diagnosed last week with HSV-2. Suspicion is that I've had it for a long time and never knew until this outbreak.

I'm hoping you'll be willing to share your little tips, tricks, and information you may have. Things about self-care, etc. All those things that aren't in the general information sheet.

So far I've been fortunate that my partner has been understanding and supportive along with my family as well.

Thanks so much and nice to meet you all!

Comments

• Hi, @jlb, and welcome! How wonderful to hear that your family and partner have been supportive. I love Brene Brown's saying, "Shame happens between people and it heals between people." It's so true!!

Like you, I also have HSV2, and it turned out I had it for 18-25 years before ever getting a diagnosis and had no idea all that time. My outbreaks are very mild (mostly itching and a tiny bit of rare irritation, really), and practically nonexistent with antivirals. So my self-care has been primarily mental/emotional. After a "period of mourning" (as I call it LOL), the biggest things that have helped me are exercise, meditation, spending time outdoors, becoming my own best friend, and focusing on developing new and existing friendships. The more I worry about living a wonderful life in spite of herpes, the less it has a stranglehold on my life. Instead of taking center stage, it has moved to the cheap seats where it belongs. :)