• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

medication question- going crazy.

Johnd

if i get sores or signs of sores with medication does it mean i need to switch medication?

i started taking 6 days ago 3 times a day 400 mg of zovirax and on day 4 i got weird bumps on my lip even though i have hsv2 . does it mean the zovirax is not doing its job? i took the medication way before i had any sores or signs of sores.

Have you had an HSV outbreak on your lips before? The only way to know for sure if the bumps are HSV is to have them swabbed. They could be pimples or something completely unrelated. When I tried acyclovir, it made my mouth super sensitive and I got a few canker sores inside my mouth in that two week period and the inside of my mouth was very sensitive overall. Which some of the research I did on it confirmed that can be a side effect. I also felt crappy on it. I switched back to valtrex which I seem to tolerate better.

Even if you get HSV outbreaks while on meds, it doesn't necessarily mean you need to switch. Sometimes, especially when the virus is new to your body, you can have breakthrough outbreaks while on meds. Usually the dose gets up at those times. Some people go on meds and it completely eliminates outbreaks while for others it just decreases their frequency or severity, its all very individual. There are two other options for meds though, valtrex and famvir, if you ever do want to try switching meds

i saw for the skin doctor today and she said that on the lips is not herpes but just my luck i finished today 7 days of 3 times 400 mg of zovirax and now i got an itch in my side of leg near my but and i looked i saw like 4 holes i think from the scratching but it looks like the herpes i had on my butt once. i will try to wait for tomorrow to see if it goes away but if not to start now again 5 days of 3 times 400 mg of zovirax ? isnt it too much after a week of this?

Thanks,