• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Exactly what part of my skin can infect someone else

I just found out last week that I have herpes HSV 2, didn't get much info from my doctor so I'm glad of having found this website. I read infection occurs when there's skin to skin contact. Now, I don't know exactly part part of the skin surrounding my genitals can infect someone else. I've only have one breakout and this was right outside my anus, just a little bump and a sore (I got infected after having anal sex). Once I have sex again I'll always use condoms, but just to be on the safe side, what happens if the skin of the other person rubs against my butt, vagina or pubis area? if I never get outbreaks there, does it mean they are safe? Or is can all the skin surrounding my genitals pass the infection? I hope it's not a silly question! Thanks in advance!

i heard that too about the boxer region and this answer make me go crazy! it's like the doctors don't know so they give this answer. how can you protect a person from all this huge region? my doctor said if i don't have sores don't think about it but how can i not? if i even touch my boxer region i run to wash my hands and in sex for sure the woman/man will touch that area so it's basically we are doomed to give it to people someday.

You're never going to be able to completely "protect" a future partner from HSV, and transmission is not a given (just ask my ex-husband). You may find it helpful to work with a counselor to zoom out from herpes specifically, and look at the big picture of risk that is *always* with us in *all* situations (including the ones that have nothing to do with herpes). The two biggest things that have helped me in my healing process (since diagnosis 18 months ago) is developing a strong sense of self-acceptance and keeping a balanced view of risk--which includes accepting that there is a lot about life that I'll never have control over.

Hi, on this subject.

I can "spread" it to this whole area, but can my partner get it through this whole area too or just the mucosa of the genitals?

I wonder this because what if my partner rubs his testicles on me when we hug (wich is basically impossible to avoid) can he get infected?

I was wondering about things like this as well. Me and my guy generally sleep in the nude. And we snuggle. Body parts tend to touch and tends to rub against each other. Since my diagnosis I won't sleep nude when he is over and have pretty much put a stop to us sleeping over at each others places to keep that from happening and of course this has put as much strain on our relationship as the diagnosis.

@Hikinggirl I am curious about the boxer short region. I've read this multiple times but I swear I read somewhere where Terri Warren stated that the skin on the buttocks/thighs is too "thick" to shed virus from. I wish I could remember where I saw that. Have you ever read that?

@ash2018 yes, seconding this. Terri Warren has actually said this a number of times, one of the latest of which was just a couple of days ago in this thread: https://www.westoverheights.com/forum/question/positive-hsv2-1-5-2-days-after-possible-exposure/

"While OUTBREAKS can occur anywhere in the boxer shorts area, virus can be shed only from mucous membrane or very thin skin like the penis or anus. The buttocks, thighs and belly do not shed only there are lesions present as the skin is too thick for virus to get out."

@ash2018 yes, seconding this. Terri Warren has actually said this a number of times, one of the latest of which was just a couple of days ago in this thread: https://www.westoverheights.com/forum/question/positive-hsv2-1-5-2-days-after-possible-exposure/

"While OUTBREAKS can occur anywhere in the boxer shorts area, virus can be shed only from mucous membrane or very thin skin like the penis or anus. The buttocks, thighs and belly do not shed only there are lesions present as the skin is too thick for virus to get out."

These are great news! Thanks so much for sharing!