• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV2 on elbow??

Hello everyone - so I've had this blister that pops up on my right elbow when I'm stressed or not well rested. It first appeared maybe 17-18 years ago. The doctor I went to back then was old school and I was about 20 years old, he said it was a simplex of herpes but described it as dormant virus you get through chicken pox (the way shingles are described now), he never mentioned it being an STD. I have never had any other type of outbreak, genital or otherwise and never had been specifically tested for HSV 1 or 2 that I can recall. About 13 months ago, my BF told me he tested positive for HSV2 which prompted me to also get tested and my results were positive. Could the blister on my elbow be the HSV2 ? I want to have a swab done but I haven't had one pop up in over a year. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Hi @downtomars. It's possible to have HSV2 outside of the genitals, but it is very, very rare. Given the number of things that could cause a skin blister, I'm kind of surprised the doctor all those years ago even attempted to make a visual diagnosis. The only way to know for sure is to wait for another blister to pop up and the moment it does, go into the doctor and ask for a PCR swab. That will tell you for sure.