• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Having first outbreak, can I already confirm herpes through a blood test?

I recently experienced very mild herpes symptoms, just a little bump outside my anus and a little sore, after a week it already feels better. But I went to the doctor anyway, thinking it was a hemorrhoid, and he said it's herpes. The thing is I've read sometimes herpes is misdiagnosed and the symptoms could actually be of another STD, so I got a blood test just to rule that out. I got tested 2 weeks and a half after I had unprotected sex (and still have to wait a week for the results). Now I read that because of the incubation period you need to wait at least 4 weeks before getting tested, otherwise you might get a false negative. But how can the incubation period be so long if I already have an outbreak? Isn't the incubation period supposed to be within days to 2 weeks after infection? I'm really confused by all this, does anyone know more about how this works?

The blood test doesn't measure the virus. It measures antibodies your body produces in response to the virus. It can take up to 16 weeks for your body to produce enough antibodies to be detected by a blood test. If you have sores, a PCR swab test can give you a definitive answer much sooner.

The blood test doesn't measure the virus. It measures antibodies your body produces in response to the virus. It can take up to 16 weeks for your body to produce enough antibodies to be detected by a blood test. If you have sores, a PCR swab test can give you a definitive answer much sooner.

Thanks, this was very helpful!