• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Men w/ GHSV2

I am a woman. I have been living with herpes for about 8 months and it has been a rough road. There are many other women on this forum experiencing the same.

The topics/responses I have seen on this forum regarding men seem to show that women tend to have a tougher experience with this virus than men. Obviously, there are the exceptions. I know there are many women on here who are asymptomatic.

I'd like to hear from the men that have had a difficult time with this virus, physically, and their experience. This is important to me because I'd like to be able to speak intelligently and well-informed to my potential future partners. I'd like to know the risks they are putting themselves up against.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

I'm a 30 year veteran at this point. Got HSV2 at age 20. Outbreaks were fairly routine early on. Took suppressive dosage of acyclovir for a few months back in 1990 and had zero outbreaks during that time. About 5 years later I had a rather prolonged and intense outbreak. The doctor prescribed famvir but it didn't seem to help. I went back and he prescribed acyclovir and the outbreak cleared right up.

I had a rather physically stressful job for 16 years so outbreaks were fairly common, I'd say every 3 or 4 months. Most of the time they were mild and not to much of a nuisance.

Nine years ago I transferred into a job that is not stressful at all and the outbreaks have really dwindled away. It has now been just over 2 years since my last outbreak.

I would usually get a blister or two and lots of itching. In the last 9 years is when I've noticed a considerable drop in frequency. It happens to coincide with a major reduction of stress in my life. I worked outdoors for 16 years in all weather conditions from the blistering heat of summer to the freezing cold of winter. The time I was prescribed famvir was during a particularly intense summer heat wave. I got the outbreak, then with the heat I sweat so much that at the end of the day I had to peel my clothes off. Being constantly wet for hours on end is not good for the sores. After my first outbreak that was definately the worst one I ever had.

I would say, at least in my case, reducing stress is the best thing you can do. Unfortunately most of the time that is something easier said than done.