• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Unsure of how to proceed

First off let me say, everyone who shares their story or experience has helped me immensely. I've been lurking for awhile since I got diagnosed. Bear with me, this is a long post.

I had sex with a guy I've been seeing steadily on 6/28 and started showing symptoms about 2-4 days later. We started with a condom but I was kinda dry so he pulled it off and then pulled out when he finished. Now let me say we've had some problems with trust and being exclusive in the first several months I've known him. Later that day he disclosed to me he's been sleeping with several other women and we talked it out and resolved our issues etc.

So fast forward to beginning of July and I made an appointment with Planned Parenthood to get STD checked because I started to have some pain with urination (little did I know it was just the urine hitting my sores) and I thought it was a UTI and I didn't want to upset him by saying it was a STD check. July 5th is my appointment and at this time I don't have any major symptoms besides the two painful papercut like sores. I get the usual exam and nurse swabs for chlamydia and gonorrhea, but states she thinks it could be herpes because of the two sores. I never in my wildest dreams would think herpes, I just thought I was raw from sex since it was pretty rough. She checks my swab on a microscope as well and then sees that I have bacterial vaginosis which is not terrible & glad I could get that fixed easily with some antibiotics. Also found out I was pregnant from a faintly positive urine test and I had some pink discharge, so I was more stressed about that than any possible STD.

Later that weekend I developed more blisters and a major headache and back pain and I started to accept my fate of it being herpes. I got my results back from the swab and I was HSV2 + and given a prescription for acyclovir.

Now its been several weeks and the guy I slept with is now my boyfriend, who loves me and vice versa. I've healed from my primary OB. We've talked about how serious and committed we are, as we are dating to marry. However and I'm 95% sure I got it from him as I got tested Feb 2016 and I was negative for iGg for HSV2. And I've had protected sex for the most part with all my partners or have checked to see if partner is clean since then except for ONE TIME in May 2016 but I never had any symptoms until now. I do know I have HSV1 from cold sore, but that has never bothered me since my PCP was very kind about addressing it, so I obviously didn't think much of it.

I don't know how to bring it up/ask him to go get tested and see if he is carrying the HSV2 virus, he has no symptoms. I'm terrified this will end our relationship because of our history and trouble in the beginning he'd think I was unfaithful. Also terrified because there is a chance his test will be negative and I will have no idea how I got HSV2.

One way to bring it up is to tell him about the symptoms you're having, and that the doctor tested for it at the time you found out about your pregnancy. I don't see a way to confirm whether or not he gave it to you unless you tell him and he tests negative. It's possible this was an existing infection for you as condoms do not prevent HSV transmission entirely since there's often genital-to-genital contact before it goes on.

Having herpes doesn't mean you cheated. I was married for 15 years and when I was diagnosed after my divorce, I told my ex and he tested negative. Whether or not he chooses to believe you is a different story. Please don't tolerate accusations of cheating from him. Any comments from him on that topic aren't credible. If he walks, he walks. As a veteran of divorce, I can tell you that nothing gets better after the wedding ceremony.